[3830] NAQP SSB KG4IGC Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Aug 16 09:15:44 EDT 2015

                    North American QSO Party, SSB - August

Call: KG4IGC
Operator(s): KG4IGC
Station: KG4IGC

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Summerville, SC
Operating Time (hrs): 10:22

  160:   13     9
   15:    0     0
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  313    89  Total Score = 27,857

Club: Swamp Fox Contest Group

Team: SFCG #2

Comments:

This is my second time working the NAQP SSB, this time had the pleasure of
working with two five member teams within our club. I was on SFCG Team # 2
which consisted of myself, NJ4F, KS4YX, K4DLE, and N4CO. There was severe solar
activity early in the day which resulted in very poor conditions on all bands at
the start of the contest. The only band that seemed to be somewhat open was 20
meters so thats where I hung out for the first couple of hours.

Band conditions remained tough throughout the entire day but slowly improved on
40 meters which turned out to be my money band. Did a combination of running
plus S&P switching between 20 and 40 throughout the afternoon. In the
evening I worked in between 40, 80, and 160 meters. 80 and 160 were very noisy
but there was a surprisingly good amount of activity on both of those bands.

Heard another ham mention aurora conditions, and now that I think about it I
recall working some guys that sounded like the were talking under water. I
really hope to one day see the Northern lights, definitely on my bucket list.
Worked fellow SFCG club members W4ANT, N4XL, W1TEF, NJ4F, and WB4NHL.

Started out only planning to work part time but as the day went on, I decided
to work the entire contest. I think the time that N1MM reports is off somehow,
as I took two breaks, one 47 minutes for dinner and another for 35 minutes.
During that time nothing was logged on N1MM plus and the Radio was not touched.
According to the rules, Single of can work 10 of the 12 hours so I expect to be
penalized points for the extra 22 minutes that N1MM plus reports.

 Despite the slow start, once again I had a really good time in this contest.
It was awesome to see so much enthusiastic activity within the Swamp Fox
Contest Group. I managed to smoke my score of 15,372 from last year which far
surpassed my goals and inspired me to push myself harder to get the highest
score possible for my team. Looking forward to next year, as the NAQP is
definitely becoming one of my favorite contests of the year!