[3830] ARRL 160 AA1K Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 6 11:16:11 EST 2015

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: AA1K
Operator(s): AA1K
Station: AA1K

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Delaware

Total:  QSOs = 1517  Sections = 80  Countries = 42  Total Score = 430,172

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

Score a bit higher than last year, though fewer QSOS.

Shortly before the start, my K3 mysteriously went nearly deaf, hearing only the
loudest of callers. Spent 10 minutes checking antenna connections and finally by
chance I discovered it was a problem with the narrow CW filter that had somehow
quit. Opening up the width control to the next filter gave normal signal
levels. Managed a strong first hour nevertheless (152 q's).

Was busy making Beverage repairs and improvements all week. Re-positioned
750-ft stagger-phased pair was the clear winner for Europe both nights (as
compared with 950-ft single wire and 535-ft stagger pair), though it seemed
only one of the two elements was working.

The last repair, about an hour before the start, was to my long dormant short
(450 ft) JA single-wire Beverage that I almost didn't bother with. But it paid
off when two JAs called in at 11z the first morning -- this was the only
antenna I could copy them on.

Missed WTX, AK and NT sections -- never heard. Never heard any VK, ZL, or
Africa. Worked 164 five-pointers.

Numerous extremely loud Europeans at their sunrise on Sunday.

See you all in the big one last full weekend in January.

73/Jon AA1K
Station details at www.aa1k.us