[3830] ARRL 160 K4XU SO Unlimited HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 6 11:17:39 EST 2015

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: K4XU
Operator(s): K4XU
Station: K4XU

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: OR
Operating Time (hrs): 9:30

Total:  QSOs = 496  Sections = 79  Countries = 7  Total Score = 89,182

Could not find a NE, ONN or PR station. Morning conditions were fairly good
Saturday, lousy on Sunday. I actually heard one European - an EI - but the
favor was not returned.

Friday night I had a failure in the tower shunt feed. Worked okay up to 500W.
On Saturday I shoveled out the foot of covering snow and discovered that the
ten ft piece of RG214 I use as the series capacitor lying in a coil under the
snow had started arcing to one of the radials. I replaced it with a fixed unit.
Reversing the center and braid connections so the HV side was on the center
conductor restored normal operation, but but only after prolonged head
scratching....

Thanks to all for the QSOs. The log went to LOTW this morning.

73,
Dick