[3830] ARRL June VHF KR1ST Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jun 15 20:55:10 EDT 2015

  24G:
-------------------
Total:  19     9  Total Score = 207

Ant (Day 1): 6m: rotatable dipole
             2m: 4 elements yagi
             70cm: 8 elements yagi

Ant (Day 2): 6m: 1/4 wave vertical
             2m: turnstile dipoles
             70cm: 2m turnstile pressed into service on 70cm

Rig: FT-897

I operated this contest field day style from my back deck with a temporary
setup of antennas to gauge what the activity level is in order to determine if
a permanent installation of larger VHF/UHF antenna is warranted. Even though I
live very near the top of one the tallest mountains around here at 1900+ft ASL
in NEPA, I was disappointed at what I could hear. Granted, the conditions were
lousy, and having S9+ noise on 6m certainly didn't help but I expected to hear
a lot more stations. The first day I used a set of antennas mounted on a
rotator on a military style mast at 20ft and the second day I used a 2m
turnstile (for 144 and 432) and a vertical for 6m just to see how much of a
difference it would make. Especially on 2 meters it seemed that the stations I
could hear the first day were almost as strong on the second day with
significantly smaller antennas.   Of course the number of contacts are too low
to really draw any conclusions, but for now I think I'll hold off on any major
investments in large VHF/UHF antennas.

73,
--Alex KR1ST