[3830] CQWW CW KR2Q SOSB/20 QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 30 10:16:17 EST 2015

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: KR2Q
Operator(s): KR2Q
Station: KR2Q

Class: SOSB/20 QRP
QTH: NNJ FN20ru
Operating Time (hrs): 16:07

   20:  400    34      100

Another year of CQWW without my usual antennas, still thanks to Hurricane Sandy.
 Finished assembly of the DB36 a few days before the contest, but no way to get
it to the top of the tower in time.  What a pity.  So I used my home brew 2
element quad at 18m on the "house" tower.

This was a very part time operation.  I wanted to contest, but was crippled by
10/15/20.  What to do?

On day 1, I was on 10/15/20 on and off.  My younger daughter stopped by for 3
hours in the local afternoon.  Spent about 4 hours on 20m, rest on 10/15.  Made
186 QSOs on 10 and 15 (pretty good for QRP).

On day 2 (local Sunday morning) I finally decided that I would submit a 20m
mono-band entry and so spent the rest of the contest on just 20m.

I was 100% search and pounce and had a lot of fun doing so.  It is always a
thrill to work ANYBODY with QRP, but I had some special excitement working some
rare mults (rare from NJ).  A real highlight was working VK6 LP with only about
20 minutes left in the contest (nice double mult).

I had forgotten just how painful it is to have only one directional antenna and
to have to constantly swing it from Eur to SA, or even worse, from Africa to
zone 7 (around through North).

For comparison, I set the (current) 20m QRP USA CW record in 1999. I had
480/35/117.  So my operating time this year of just 16 hours got me pretty
close to that 1999 record = happy!

Operating monoband is like contesting while on vacation.  So easy and relaxing
and full of SLEEP!  What a pleasure.

I need to catch up on my QRP/contesting deficit from the last 3 years, so I'll
probably do WPX and ARRL DX this season (calendar 2016).

Rig: Elecraft K3/10
S/W: N1MM
Ant: Home Brew 2L penta-quad from the ARRL Antenna book, at 18m high
Paddle:  HAL FYO (my joy)