[3830] CQWW CW EI5DI SOSB/80 LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 30 10:17:07 EST 2015

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: EI5DI
Operator(s): EI5DI
Station: EI5DI

Class: SOSB/80 LP
QTH: Co. Wexford

   80: 1519    20       79
Total: 1519    20       79  Total Score = 252,251

In 2014 I did SOSB/80 HP (Unassisted) and set a new EI record,
and #3 World, with my own call from the EI9E contest station
in Co. Wexford, using its new 80m 4SQ antenna.

For 2015 I tried LP SOSB/80 Unassisted from the same location -
with K3/P3 barefoot (100w), Begali HST II paddle, WinKey USB,
1963 Drake 2BQ speaker, my HF contest logger (SD), and my
comfortable office chair (no arms) that I take everywhere
I can when contesting.

It was a pleasure to operate in a quiet environment, with full
break-in and no noise from amplifier fans or relays - and no
sore head or ears from ill-fitting headsets.  The Drake 2BQ
speaker has a wonderful resonance on CW - I've not found anything
better.

Of course, it's harder with LP but that's part of the challenge.
The 4SQ is amazing, with instant switching between four prime
directions.  Some compromises are necessary, and coverage due South
and into the Caribbean isn't so good, but probably better than with
a single 80m vertical. The EI9E location is electrically very quiet,
and I used the 4SQ for receiving most of the time, even though both
K9AY and Beverages were available.

One highlight was being called by VK4MA on 3500.25 at 6pm on
Sunday for a double mult - in the middle of EU chaos.

Here's the 2014/15 scores for comparison

80m SOSB HP 2014 -  2018 Q, 27 Z, 92 C, 394,723 (27 hours)
80m SOSB LP 2015 -  1519 Q, 20 Z, 79 C, 252,251 (30 hours) - Claimed

73,
Paul EI5DI