[3830] 432FallSprnt WW7D/R Rover LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Fri Oct 9 00:14:51 EDT 2015

                    432 MHz Fall Sprint

Call: WW7D/R
Operator(s): WW7D
Station: WW7D

Class: Rover LP
QTH: WWA

Total:  QSOs = 59  Mults = 17  Tot Dist(km) = 0  Total Score = 1,003

Club: Pacific Northwest VHF Society

Comments:

There was terrific turnout in the Pacific Northwest for this Sprint.   I roved
the CN86/CN96/CN87/CN97 grid intersection, primarily on a gravel state highway
that follows a mountain ridge.   I went
CN96-->CN86-->CN87-->CN97-->CN87-->CN86-->CN96, and then
bounced around a bit between CN96 and CN86 right at the end.

I arrived in CN96 about 30 minutes before the start, but at 5 minutes before
the start that I realized I had forgotten a CW paddle.  Doh!  I quickly
sacrificed an audio cable from the spares box, and stripped the wires to form a
very primitive _hands_ key (you know, one wire in each hand).  I'm sure there
were people laughing at my slow, sloppy CW, but I worked a couple of
multipliers on CW...so there!

The sprint itself was pretty active.  In addition to many CN87 stations, Greg,
K7YDL, was booming in from Portland (CN85). Rod, WE7X/R, was roving from CN87
to CN97 on FM only--we worked six times in total.  Gary, WA7BBJ, also activated
CN97.  And VE7AFZ was active from CN89.  We had two easy QSOs and one difficult
QSO.  I couldn't hear him at all from CN96.

In the last couple minutes of the contest, I was looking a friend who was
getting off work and had 446 MHz FM in his car.  I was sitting near the
CN96/CN86 line hoping to work him in two grids.   I never heard him, but WC2T
answered my CQ and was able to report his grid as CN86.  With less than a
minute remaining, I drove 100m from CN96 into CN86 and made a second QSO.
That provided two new multipliers in the last 90 seconds, and was a splendid
way to end the sprint.

The log shows 18 unique calls.

Here are the results by grid activated:

Grid   QSOs   Grids worked
CN86    18    CN85, CN86, CN87, CN89, CN97
CN87    13    CN85, CN87, CN89, CN97
CN96    15    CN85, CN86, CN87, CN97
CN97    13    CN85, CN87, CN89, CN97

Many thanks to all the stations who got on the air for the sprint.