[3830] CaQP VA7RR SOFixed HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Oct 11 16:27:09 EDT 2015

                    California QSO Party

Call: VA7RR
Operator(s): VA7RR
Station: VA7RR

Class: SOFixed HP
QTH: BC

  160:    9      1
   80:   58     80
   15:    6      0
   10:    0      0
    6:    0      0
    2:    0      0
--------------------

Club: Orca DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Believe it or not, this is my first radio contest this year - have been pretty
much inactive since WW CW in 2014. It's really good to be back on the air, but
it did take a couple of hours to get back into the "groove" of
things, especially on SSB.

    Was planning to operate at VE7SZ, but big time noise issues there on 80 and
160 led us to the decision to participate from the home station instead.  In
preparation for the CQP from home in 2014, I ran into a bunch of station issues
prior to the contest - non-operational amp for the 2nd station, fried antenna
tuner, defective switch on the motorized crankup tower, RF problems in our home
alarm system and carbon monoxide detector, and bad relays in the Six Pack.  I
had good intentions this year to do some station maintenance to fix the issues,
but just didn't get around to it, so I had to do workarounds for this year's
contest.

     Aside from a hard drive crash on my legacy WIN98 PC before the test (I
still prefer to use TRLog whenever I can, and I have several more WIN98 PCs in
the wings in preparation for this sort of thing), nothing else failed during
the weekend, except that the SO2R box stopped working on Sunday morning. I
decided that it was more important to have the SO2R capability than to lose
some on-air time, so I stopped operating and figured out that it was a
defective cable - lost about 20 minutes of operating time and maybe 8-10
contacts.

     Conditions were not good, but they were still too good - essentially
nothing on 15 except backscatter, as expected, but only short periods of time
on both Saturday and Sunday when 20 was productive from here to the northern
part of the state.  There are only so many 20 meter contacts to be made with
stations in Los Angeles, San Diego, and the other counties in the southern
reaches of California, and the big key for those of us in the Pacific Northwest
to do really well in CQP is to have propagation to the entire state for a large
portion of the daylight hours on 20 meters.  It didn't happen that way this
time around.

     The last two mults in the log were Glenn (K6Q on 80CW at 0741Z), and the
very elusive Mendocino County(#1 from KF6LUY) on Sunday morning on 40 meters.

     Many thanks to all for the QSOs, and congratulations to K5TR on breaking
his own out-of-state record - a really super score, George.

     See you in CQWW SSB!

73,
Gary
VA7RR