[3830] CQWW SSB KT8K SOAB QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Oct 25 20:50:41 EDT 2015

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: KT8K
Operator(s): KT8K
Station: KT8K

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: EN82cg SE Michigan
Operating Time (hrs): 16:21

  160:    0     0        0
   80:    2     2        1
   40:    4     4        3
   20:   34    10       25
   15:   84    19       46
   10:  141    15       49

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Propagation was very good here on Sunday, with 10m jumping.  I don't know why,
but I had high QRN a lot and just couldn't be heard on any band on Friday
night, which is the first time I experienced that in years.  Saturday wasn't
much better for me, and I really didn't get "into harness" until
Sunday.  between 1000Z and 12:30Z I made a total of 3 QSO's, quite
discouraging, and I could hear EU on 10 and 15 long before they could hear me.
Once I got going on 10m, though, the fun started.  Sometimes it took a lot of
repeats to get through, but once I figured out which mode of propagation was
working for me I could focus on calling stations in those areas where I could
be heard.  For instance, Sunday afternoon TE propagation had CE's, Lu's and
PY's hearing my pipsqueak signal just fine while zone 8 and 9 QSO's were a lot
tougher.  10 and 15m had slow QSB so sometimes I just had to wait for a minute
to be heard - that worked a lot but slowed me down a bit.

A big kick was when CN3A threw "thanks for your song" into the
exchange.  (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNWZjzrzgwA)  Thanks to all who've
enjoyed it.  I LIVE for those hits!

I hope everyone else had at least half as much fun as I did, and I hope to put
you *all* in my log next time.  Thanks to everyone who stuck with me through
the repeats.  73 & best rx de kt8k - Tim

equipment:
Tentec Orion I with WGA headset and
logging with N1MM+ on an ~ancient~ Dell inspiron 8200 laptop running XP
antennas:
- Cushcraft A3 driven element hung vertically at ~55 feet as a triband trap
dipole
- 20/40/80m 3-wire dipole in droopy-W form, feed point up about 45 feet
- ~500 foot horizontal loop zigzagging through trees from 15 to 60+ feet up,
fed with TV twin lead from an LDG Z-11 autotuner in the shack