[3830] CQWW SSB KT4ZB M/S LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Oct 26 11:35:47 EDT 2015

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: KT4ZB
Operator(s): KC2NYU KW4B N5GNA W4JKG NY4D KT4ZB K4WP N4KKD KG4OZC KM4KFJ
Station: KT4ZB

Class: M/S LP
QTH: Savannah, GA

  160:    8     5        5
   80:   77    15       42
   40:  165    18       65
   20:  291    25      101
   15:  267    27       89
   10:  307    26       86

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

I have the best Ham friends ever. The month before the contest they stripped the
tower, refurbished antennas and installed a new 40m 2 el monobander. As a
“reward”, I proposed hosting a Multi-Single LP entry with the goal of
breaking the existing W4 and US records. Little did my crew of ragchewers, DX
chasers and casual contesters realize that running a low power station 48 hours
in CQWW is a true challenge, involving not only skill but determination.
Everyone jumped to transform the station layout into a M/S with RUN and MULT
stations. The dual feed Six-Pak switch at the tower gave both stations six
antennas each and we added the 160m loop and K4WP’s portable 20m monobander
to the MULT station giving us a total of 8 different antennas..

   After a crash course in operating the radios (my Elecraft friends have no
respect for my old radios) and N1MM+, they were ready to learn on the job.
Kevin, KB4W and Paul, KC2NYU started the evening with JA, KH6, KH7 and KH0’s
in the RUN and the MULT working south. The new beam worked well on 40m and made
the highest country count for the station. The weekend was virtually all S&P
and it shows in the QSO count. Lowell, NY4D, Bob, N5GNA, Ken, W4KJG and Steve,
KG4OZC gave up sleep time to keep the station going in the wee hours of the
night. Being on 20m at 1am was great; we worked all those fluttery signals over
the pole including A71 and A73. One UA6 calling CQ had a real problem with our
call until he realized we were stateside. Chuck, N4KKD worked hard on 80m and
Steve, KG4OZC and Karl, KM4KFJ pitched in and developed new radio skills. My DX
buddy Bill, K4WP put in several hours at both stations as well as watching over
the stations equipment. Kevin, KW4B and Ken, W4KJG closed out the contest with
some needed Asia double mults The MULT station added S0S as our last contact
for DXCC on 20m. As for me, KT4ZB, I made only 160 contacts, my lowest QSO
count ever and I was accused of being a “Helicopter” parent.
.
  All had fun chasing DX - Had a total of 30 JA contacts in the log which in SE
Georgia is wonderful.  And  BY, VR2, HS, A71, A73, KH0, KH2, YB, TK, C3, ZD7,
VU, were nice additions to the total.

   We accomplished our goal of breaking the existing W4, US and NA record for
this category; but, most of all everyone had fun and developed new operating
skills. The station worked well and N1MM+ was rock solid. That and having an
All Star team made for a memorable weekend.

   Thanks to CQ and the CQWW committee for sponsoring this great contest.  And
thanks to all the folks around the world whose contacts filled our log.

Best - Jere

FT1000MP Field and FT1000MP Mk V(100w), TH6DXX, A3S, XM240 for 40m, 40 and 80m
dipoles, inverted L for 160m, 160m horizontal. loop, 20m portable Yagi and
N1MM+.