[3830] CWOpen VE9AA LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sat Sep 5 12:49:25 EDT 2015

                    CWops CW Open - 1200Z-1559Z

Call: VE9AA
Operator(s): VE9AA
Station: VE9AA

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: nb

   40:  31     30
   20:  46     38
   15:   4      3
Total:  81     71  Total Score = 5,751

Club: Maritime Contest Club

Comments:

A bit over 5 years I've been writing these sometimes quirky 3830 reports.

A guy likes to think that in 350-400 contests (I've lost track...someone figure
out a way to count them and lmk) that his skills have improved and he's doing
better than he usually does.

Today was not that day.  Today my score was down the tubes. but wait

If you ever become bored and want to blow your mind, try learning two new
things at the same time. Not one, but two.

Today I tried SO2R and N1MM+'s "ESM" (enter sends message) at the
same time.
To add to the confusion, (because I don't like doing things easy), I did not
use a dedicated SO2R controller, so audio was both radios (left in left, right
in right, always).  Wait, there's more.

My N1MM macros are all changed too.  I vowed I would learn to do it "the
right way".  For 5 years and some 70k contest Q's I have been using
modified macros so I only had to punch usually 4 F-keys. That's it.  Now I hit
the ENTER key and the space bar, when I need fills or corrections my mind is
ripped off its hinges (especially with CW in each ear on different
bands-remember, no SO2R controller, just a very nice N1MM logging program
controlling my Winkeyer USB so CW never can get sent on both bands on the same
time.

OK, my mind is being bent in ways I never knew possible - AND- condx up here
were punk.  I only worked a couple EU's.

In retrospect, it was probably a good thing I could not reach out to the speed
demons and truly talented QRQ freaks in EU as I would've surely gone into
cardiac arrest.

As it was, to get everything flowing (ha! flowing....there's an exaggeration)
well , I had to back the speed down to 30wpm before the tremors kicked in.

So, I got on late, played for about an hour, then went to mow the very large
lawn I have.  With AC/DC, Metallica, April Wine, Alice Cooper cranked to 11 in
my earphones, I reviewed what had just transpired in the previous hour. It's
like a police officer interviewing you after a car accident and asking you if
you saw anything. Well officer, I remember being on the bands at the time and
then kinda got run over by these QRO stations. I dodge between 20 and 40m but
out of nowhere this guy on 15m just kinda blew me away.  Alright son, go sit
there on the curb and take a deep breath.

I had made some valid Q's.  My hopes of a golden log were flung out the window.
(which is a shame, as I strive for as few errors as possible in contests.) Ah
well....nobody is perfect and certainly that means me too.

As the AC/DC tunes being pumped into my headphones segway'd into some Bif Naked
"We're all gonna get in a fight", I thought "How cool was
that?" ....in 5 yrs I have been stalemated, getting mouldy and learning
nothing except maybe how to go faster.  Now I have only barely even begun to
learn something new, but it was fascinating. (no, I am not very good at it and
botched a few Q's and sent a few things on the wrong radio and all that) but it
was exhilarating for this guy who turned 52 on Wednesday.

I am like a 5yr old learning to ride a 2-wheeler and have skinned my knee a
little bit but I am getting back on for the last session A&K index be
damned.

See you all then !

Mike VE9AA......not in the MINI........at home:
Radio A ; IC-7410 & HF9V on my shed
Radio B; IC-746 & ZS6BKW @ 30'