[3830] WAE SSB K5WA Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Sep 14 10:47:18 EDT 2015

                    WAE DX Contest, SSB

Call: K5WA
Operator(s): K5WA
Station: K5WA

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Texas

   80:    3     3    12
   40:   66    66    84
   20:   88    60    58
   15:  140   168    62
   10:    0     0     0
-------------------------
Total:  303   289   216  Total Score = 127,656

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

I had just come back from a week long business trip 12 hours before the contest.
 When I sat down at the station, the first thing I heard was my very loud (8000
element beams in 400 stacks at a million feet height) "neighbor",
NR5M, getting ready for the contest.  George is a beast on SSB from his own
station and had kicked my butt in WPX SSB so I didn't want to get killed in WAE
SSB.  I decided to switch to LP and have N5AW kick my butt...just not quite as
badly, I hoped.  N5AW is the LP King around here with a killer home station so
I was hoping that with smaller LP scores I could maximize my WRTC points with a
smaller percentage loss.

About 10 minutes into the contest, I realized we were having some of the worst
conditions I've ever seen and LP was going to be a nightmare but I plowed on.
After 12 hours, I ran across NR5M however K5GA was at the mic and I realized I
had made a huge tactical error by going LP because NR5M was M/S.  I was
committed to LP at this point however and plowed on.

It is funny to read N5AW's writeup saying he felt I was hearing things he
wasn't because I felt exactly the same way when I heard him zip through a
pileup as I was calling my lungs out.  I guess conditions 200 miles away can
fluctuate enough to make that happen but I always felt behind the curve
especially on 80 where I don't have a SSB tuned antenna.  I also had bad
thunderstorms at EU sunrise Saturday night and that sure nailed me in the mult
department.

It wasn't fun at the time but is getting more so after the fact but I'm sure
the east coast boys have no clue what it is like to have 1000 less Qs over a
WAE weekend.  ;-)

73,
Bob K5WA