[3830] ARRL Sep VHF K1TR Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Thu Sep 17 13:03:55 EDT 2015

                    ARRL September VHF Contest

Call: K1TR
Operator(s): K1TR
Station: K1TR

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: WMA/FN42
Operating Time (hrs): 24:20

  1.2:   26    11
  2.3:   12     6
  3.4:    9     5
  5.7:    5     4
  10G:    7     4
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  566   154  Total Score = 137,522

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Except for a few 6m E-skip QSOs into SFL on Saturday, there was no enhanced
propagation from my QTH on Wachusett Mtn. In fact it seemed that conditions
were worse than flat in some directions, like looking West and NW.

While my numbers reflect the overall reduction in participation that others
have noted, the drop in Rovers was especially evident this year. I did a quick
analysis of Rovers in my Sept VHF logs going back to 2007 and found that the
average number of Rovers, with 3 or more bands traveling to more than one grid,
was 9.7. This year, that number was one (I worked NF2RS/R with 4 bands in 3
grids). So I want to extend a special thanks the NF2RS/R team for representing
the Rover category in New England.

As I look at the Rover callsigns back in 2007 (W1AUV, WA2IID, N1FGY, KB1EKZ,
K3LFO, K2QO, N1JEZ, W1RT, WW1M) only one, K2QO (AKA NF2RS/R) has continued.
Each has their own reason for quitting; burnout, getting too old, expense, job
loss, change of operating category, death,...  It is clearly challenging to
keep doing the Rover category year after year.  Adding a bunch of Rover
categories a few years back doesn't appear to have helped the exodus. What can
we do to interest Amateurs to enter and remain in this category?

I had intermittent Internet access on the hill via a cellphone tether. From
time to time I would log in to the local DX cluster to see what was going on
but it didn't appear that the VHF community was using it much. I also checked
into the ON4KST chat page but with only a tiny laptop monitor I was unable to
effectively watch that and keep essential N1MM logging windows visible at the
same time. So I didn't use it. In addition, I didn't advertise my cellphone
number beforehand. So overall I was unable to leverage the new modes of
assistance for this contest. I have some work to do in this area.

Looks like Bob, K2DRH did another great job from his mid-western QTH and the
SOLP winner will likely be decided through log-checking.

73, Ed K1TR