[3830] ARRL Sep VHF NF2RS/R(@K2QO) Limited Rover LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Thu Sep 17 15:42:26 EDT 2015

                    ARRL September VHF Contest

Call: NF2RS/R
Operator(s): K2QO K2ZR
Station: K2QO

Class: Limited Rover LP
QTH: ROVER

  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  518   118  Total Score = 69,850

Club: Niagara Frontier Radiosport

Comments:

We posted a nice score despite the mostly stinky propagation. By optimizing our
route and maximizing our time in the best grids we squeezed out the Qs as best
possible. Activity seemed low but the totals indicate average participation.
While it was nice to work many new calls, we had fewer VEs in the log this time
out. I know they were on but we could not break the iron curtain of bad
propogation.

This contest was the first in 10 years that I felt not having significant FM
capability cost us some Qs. It is time to invest in some dedicate FM gear.

In case you are interested, we've been running the same setup for a while with
the front seat (K2ZR) dedicated to 2M CW/SSB. The rear seat op (K2QO) takes the
rest of the bands.

6M- CW/SSB/FM- K3/100W to a Par Omni
2M- CW/SSB- IC746 to phased omnis and a 2M7
222- CW/SSB/FM- K3/XV222, 120W Mirage amp, 6-el Cheap Yagi
432- CW/SSB- K3/XV432, 100W Mirage amp, 11-el Cheap Yagi

2FM- FT817, 160W Mirage amp, mag mount stick
440FM- Motorola EX500 with stock antenna and 5W.

Paper/pencil logging is still a major PITA. If only RoverLog was available for
the iPad!!!!

73, NF2RS/R (Niagara Frontier Radiosport Club Call)
Mark K2QO and Dick K2ZR