[3830] ARRLDX CW W3EP SO Unlimited HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Feb 22 10:23:18 EST 2016

ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: W3EP
Operator(s): W3EP
Station: W3EP

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: CT
Operating Time (hrs):

Total: 1205   295  Total Score = 1,060,000

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

My first multi-band HF contest--ever.  Pleased to get to 1-meg total score, but
not sure that will survive log-checking.

K3 + 800W

40M (Inverted-vee dipole @60 ft): band seemed noisy. Sometimes it was a
struggle to pull out a call when two or three were calling me just at noise
level. Stations seemed to be hearing me better than I was hearing them. WAC, a
nice touch for a first contesting outing on the band.

20M (Inverted-vee dipole @45 ft): This was destined to be my weakest band, so
all QSOs on H&P--did not even try CQing. I was quite aware there was a
whole level of stations I could not hear.

15M (3-ele Yagi @50 ft): I knew this would be my most productive band. Even a
small Yagi at modest height makes a huge difference. Was delighted to work a BY
among the JAs and a few UA9/UA0s, but did even hear any other Asians.

10M (5-ele Yagi @65 ft): Had not intended to get on ten, as it had been my only
HF contest band for many years and had enough experience with it. I let the
Saturday opening to Europe go by, but when it opened again Sunday morning,
could not resist the temptation to pick up multipliers. Europeans were quite
variable, sometimes coming and going within tens of seconds. Did not even pay
much attention to the Caribbean and South American multipliers, much less
anywhere else.

A good deal of fun and learned a lot, of course. I was grateful for the
stations that patiently came back several times (especially on 40M) until I got
the call right.

Emil W3EP.