[3830] ARRLDX CW K1LT SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Feb 22 12:01:16 EST 2016

ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: K1LT
Operator(s): K1LT
Station: K1LT

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Ohio EM89ps

   15:  876   103
Total: 2177   426  Total Score = 2,759,202

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

The plan for this contest was to try to get power, Ethernet, and a
remote rotor controller out to the new tower so that I can turn the
Cushcraft A3S.  You may recall that this little beam is a temporary
winter occupant of the incomplete tower project.  However, there simply
wasn't enough time to finish the controller nor enough money to acquire
600 feet of 10-2 wire and PVC conduit.  So the little beam remains
fixed on the Caribbean.

The other plan for this contest was to operate SO2R more often to
develop that skill.  This plan was a partial success.  Besides the
usual S&P on 40 meters while running on the high bands, I also did a
little S&P on 15 meters while running on 20 meters.  I must say though
that operating 2 radios at the same time is fairly exhausting, but
perhaps less so as I get better at it.  This year the "apparent"
second-radio count was 86 QSOs versus 57 QSOs last year.

My SO2R setup still has some limitations.  The 2nd K3 is not a perfect
clone of the first K3 since it lacks the 8-pole filters and especially
a 250 Hz filter which is my favorite for hunting.  Also the second
amplifier needs to be integrated into the operating position so it can
be reached more easily.  I haven't done that because its not my
amplifier and the owner (K8ND, thanks Jeff!) may ask for its return at
any time (my guilt decreases yearly).

Finally, the most annoying problem with SO2R operation seems to be a
problem with the K3 radios cooperating with Writelog.  If I request
transmission on the other radio while the first radio is transmitting,
sometimes the second radio goes berserk in some manner and causes the
associated amplifier to trip out because of overdrive.  Note that this
occurs regardless of which radio is "first".  My guess is that the
radio is receiving commands via the computer interface at the same time
as it is being commanded to transmit.  Also, my WinKey clone does not
cease transmitting when so commanded because it insists on completing
the current CW character while the SO2R box is rerouting PTT.  I'll
have to modify the WinKey clone to fix this problem.  In the meantime,
I just have to use a couple of extra key presses to stop the current
transmission before starting a new one.  That or use better timing.

With 10-meters at vastly reduced effectiveness, my QSO total declined
by about 570 QSOs.  But the multiplier count decreased by only 5,
despite 40 fewer mults on 10 meters.  All of the other bands had more
mults than last year.  At sunrise Sunday I had more mults on 160 than
on 10.  10 meters had a brief European opening during the 16Z hour on
Sunday.  I missed half of it.

I felt extremely tired Friday evening and slept for 3 hours.  I felt
like I was dragging all day Saturday and Saturday night I slept for 7
hours, not even waiting for European sunrise before I crashed.  Going
by last year's rate chart, I skipped only about 60 QSOs by sleeping.
Sunday I felt better although once the contest ended, I crashed.  Only
6 more years before I can retire from parenting and have my freedom
back.

The surprise multiplier was 9K2NO, three times!  A65BP was also a nice
surprise twice.  Worked ET7L on 40 without a pileup.  V73NS was handing
out 15-meter QSOs without a power, so I logged that as "0".  I
presume
that QSO and GJ0KE ("KW" power) will be removed as invalid QSOs.

DX worked: 3V, 3W, 4O, 4X, 5B, 5H, 6Y, 8P, 9A, 9K, 9M6, A3, A6, BV, BY,
C6, CE, CE9, CM, CN, CT, CT3, CU, CX, D4, DL, DU, E7, EA, EA6, EA8, EI,
ER, ES, ET, EU, F, FM, FS, FY, G, GI, GJ, GM, GW, HA, HB, HC, HI, HK,
HL, HP, HS, HZ, I, IS, J3, J7, JA, KG4, KH2, KH6, KL, KP2, KP4, LA, LU,
LX, LY, LZ, OA, OE, OH, OK, OM, ON, OY, OZ, P4, PA, PJ2, PJ4, PJ5, PY,
S5, SM, SP, SV, SV5, SV9, TA, TF, TI, TK, UA, UA2, UA9, UN, UR, V2, V3,
V5, V6, V7, VE, VK, VP2M, VP5, VP9, XE, YL, YO, YU, YV, Z3, Z8, ZB, ZF,
ZL, and ZS for a total of 120 entities.  Unique calls: 1445.

6 band QSOs: PJ2T, V26M, KP2M, NP2X, P40XM, VP2MWA, D4C, KH6LC, 8P5A,
P40W, ED7P, 9A1A, CR3W, TO7A, TI5W, VP5K, LX7I, and IR4M.

Equipment: Elecraft K3, P3; Alpha 8410; Elecraft K3/10, Hardrock 50,
ETO 91B (thanks, Jeff!); Cushcraft X7 at 60 feet, Cushcraft A3S at 40
feet, full sized 40 meter vertical over 32 32-foot radials, full sized
80 meter vertical over 60 70-foot radials, 65 foot "Tee" for 160
over
75 125-foot radials; Beverages; 2 linear phased vertical arrays;
Writelog version 11; homebrew WinKey-2; homebrew SO2R box; homebrew RF
router (relays and Ethernet).