[3830] ARRLDX CW 9A5Y(9A7DX) SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Feb 22 12:02:40 EST 2016

ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: 9A5Y
Operator(s): 9A7DX
Station: 9A5Y

Class: SOAB HP
QTH:

Total: 2629   253  Total Score = 1,995,411

Club: Croatian Contest Club

Comments:

Yo !

First time @ ABHP in ARRL and I really liked it

Before contest there was no pressure because I knew that I don't have the
location to compete for TOP in this one. But still, during the game  I found my
own goals and tried to catch them.

Live score table definitely added a new dimension to the contest. It is so much
better to compete online instead of seeing published results few months later!?
So, I found the biggest competition in IO1T and IR2C. Unfortunately, 9A8WW was
impossible to reach, and e7dx is a different story. Man, you killed the
suspense   in this game :) Too bad that we missed other BIG GUNS in SOABHP on
table. WHY ??? We all know that you're all watching the list so it is uncool
not to post ! In the time of skimmer and other tools, I really can not find
the reason why someone would hide the score, but anyway...

This was a new experience, and once again I learnt a lot. There were good and
bad things as always :)

Good:
1. All the equipment performance was excellent, finally no issues during the
whole weekend.
2. Condix were interesting and challenging. There ware good opening on 160
first night & on 10 @ Sunday evening, and some changing condix on 80&40
with good runs
3. Good overall CW skills and excellent by most # of US stn !? ( I was thinking
that only Russians can play high speed CW, but I've offten send on 45+ wpm
during RUNs and I don't have to repeat anything.
4. Operator comfort and enough time to sleep. (I saw the end of the contest
well rested, unlike WW)
5. Live score excitement

Bad:

1. To many QRMing ( and qrg intruders ), if you're not transmitting for more
than a few sec, or working on 2nd TRX,  freq is lost
2. Still lots of shortcoming @ stn. (lack of real 2nd TRX PA, interference
between BAND's, more automatic's, better 40m ant. etc..
3. Geographic disadvantage comparing to western EU. It is frustrating to lsn
RUN's and hear all that NA's but got no answer on my own CQs
4. Dual CQ was not beneficial to me !??! Try many times and almost all times
rate was down in that MODE !? There was a problem with interference on BVG from
vertical's and in some combinations between high band's antennas but anyway, I
still expected more. The only real success in dual cq i've got was working on
15/20 for an hour or so during sunday. But overall, found out that 2nd radio is
more efficient for MULTS search, looking for opening's, better run qrg or even
competition listening :)

But afterall, I would do it again next weekend hehe

Congrats to local competition E7DX & 9A8WW, braco you killed the game, it's
not fun anymore !
&
Thanks to IR2C & IO1T for making this contest more interesting, especially
last evening ;)
&
and thanks fer each qso,

Now, I can not wait for RDXC, where we will play on my playground ;)

Vedran, 9a7dx