[3830] CQWW VHF VE1SKY SOAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jul 17 22:28:55 EDT 2016

CQ Worldwide VHF Contest

Call: VE1SKY
Operator(s): VE1SKY
Station: VE1SKY

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: FN74    NS

    6:  20     18
    2:   5      5
-------------------
Total:  25     23  Total Score = 690

I enjoyed doing the CQWWVHF - even in the face of a *total absence* of N.
American Es to Nova Scotia.  We had company here until Sunday morning, so I
sauntered into the contest, coffee in hand, 17 hours late.

Sunday morning produced some good meteorscatter, which I thoroughly enjoy
when-ever it is available.  This contest turned out to be nearly entirely
meteorscatter for me.  The only real Es for VE1SKY was a late, brief
Transatlantic multihop - CT1HZE,EA8AQV and EA8DBM.  Is was nice to catch Lefty,
K1TOL and Bob, VE1YX direct.  VA1AVR also jumped in sans enhanced propagation.
Thanks to VE3SMA, N3RG, N2NT, WB8YA and K1OR for two bands (all
meteorscatter).

Even though the Es were elsewhere for Nova Scotia, I kept busy trying to eek
out QSOs.  Modes used were FSK441, CW and SSB.  Rig FT847, Low Power, 5 element
LFA (6m) and 12 element K1FO (2m).

A note to the contest committee.  It would be very helpful to allow operators
attempting Meteorscatter to post the attempted mode.  FSK441 is not the only
mode and is now joined by a smorgasbord of WSJT and WSJT-X offerings including
but not limited to: ISCAT B, JTMSK, JT9H, JTMS and the non-K1JT offering PSK2K.
 MSK144 is in development and will likely become a favorite on 2m for rox.  A
simple addition of mode, in addition to CQ, Frequency and Sequence would
clarify what any receiving ops should expect and would not continue to stunt
weak signal mode advancement in contests. A tiny improvement would allow the
wide range of mode options provided by K1JT to be easily used in CQWWVHF
contests. Please allow this post in the next CQWWVHF contest - CQ 50283 2nd
JT9H.

73
Roger, VE1SKY
Bridgetown, Nova Scotia FN74