[3830] 7QP K7L(K6LL) SOMixed HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun May 8 14:48:15 EDT 2016

7th Call Area QSO Party

Call: K7L
Operator(s): K6LL
Station: K6LL

Class: SOMixed HP
QTH: AZYMA

   40:  270      42
----------------------------
Total:  607    1386     0  Mults = 69  Total Score = 316,917

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

I repeatedly checked the 10 Meter Panadapter, and never saw any action on 10.
The 15 Panadapter showed a big flurry of activity around 20Z, but I was in the
groove on 20 SSB at the time, cruising at 200/hr, and I just couldn't bring
myself to break away.

Heavy lightning static started at about 22Z, and continued on all bands to the
end of the contest.  There were some weak stations that I had to give up on,
and many many repeats.  Thanks for all of your patience!

40 was weird, with an aurora-type flutter on most stations.  W2VJN/7 on 40
sounded like moonbounce.  There was one mobile on 80 who rattled off four
counties at 30 wpm with high flutter, and he never slowed down, despite my
requests for repeats.  I got three of them.

Lots of in-state folks didn't know their official county abbreviation, so it
was good to have four lists for Indiana, Delaware, one-land and seven-land.  I
didn't hear much activity in the ARI Contest this year, so I didn't have to use
my spreadsheet of serial numbers to send them by paddle.

W6RW is located about a mile from me, and we are both using verticals on 80,
with 1500 watts, but there was absolutely no QRM from him.  He sure was loud
though!

There were tons of very recent U.S. call signs on 20 SSB, and quite a few
/AG's. It sounds like ham radio is still growing on HF.

Thanks for all the QSO's.  This contest is always fun!  At age 72, I think 18
hours straight is starting to push it though.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL/K7L
Yuma, Arizona

.