[3830] SS CW W4LT SO Unlimited HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Nov 8 10:07:50 EST 2016

ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: W4LT
Operator(s): W4LT
Station: W4LT

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: WCF
Operating Time (hrs): 13:09

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

Rig : Elecraft K-Line @ 650w and tweaked Diversity Receive

Antennas : A3s @ 40ft, 2 Half Waves in Phase @ 38ft, 80m Inverted U at 37ft,
MonoGAP40 at 6 inches

Soapbox : This was a test of my new Low Band SS arrangement.  Found success!
I now hear and transmit better than I previously could on 80 and 40m. Even
reduced power to 100w for some contacts, and they still heard me, so good test
for SSB effort.

Added a very low 80 meter dipole that actually tunes well on 80 this time.  I
can now use my 40m 2 1/2 waves in phase as a diversity receive antenna with the
dipole on 80 and the vertical and the 2 half waves in phase on 40 as a diversity
pair.

This should help me become more competitive on the low bands, as my main
competitor in the SSB version of this contest is prolific there.

Proof of the pudding: Best 80 meter QSO count ever on CW for my station (Yeah,
122 Q's may not seem like a lot to you, but they are to me!).

I have reduced the "CQ-in-you-face" quotient by Quantum Leaps!

Its Sweepstakes CW. Lots of stuff to do this weekend. Returned from taking my
Mom to dinner and got on the last two hours of the contest. Needed three
sections for the sweep.

Got on 40 meters. Found Alberta - Check. Then someone from East Bay calls me -
Check. Resigned to be sweep-less for yet another year when, 10 minutes from the
end of the Contest, K0PFV from Nebraska, using a hand key, calls me! His keying
was not the easiest to copy, but I finally logged him and, first time in 41
years of November Sweepstakes CW, FINALLY, a SWEEP of all the sections!

Thank you all for my first ever CW Sweep!  I screamed like a 8 year old girl at
a Justin Bieber concert when I logged K0PFV!

It took the Cubs 108 years, it only took me 41, so I'm not complaining!

See you all at a more serious effort for SSB. Class A beckons now that I have a
better 80m signal.

73

Lu - W4LT