[3830] CWopsT N8XX QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Oct 12 11:00:17 EDT 2016

CWops Mini-CWT Test - 1300Z Oct 12

Call: N8XX
Operator(s): N8XX
Station: N8XX

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: NORTH COUNTRY TRAIL

  160:   0      0
   80:   0      0
   40:  32     32
   20:   0      0
   15:   0      0
   10:   0      0
-------------------
Total:  32     32  Total Score = 1,024

Club: MICHIGAN QRP CLUB

Comments:

They said it couldn't be done. 100% "running" @ 5 watts or less.  I
chose 7039.2 KHz a few minutes before 1300Z, kept calling CQ CWT util about
1320 when too many alligators came along and after one very, very short QRL
plopped down too close to me so that few could find me amongst their "very
considerate" signals.  I was doing about 1 Q every 1.5 minutes, folks were
finding me.  After a few minutes of trying to gain attention, I moved up to
7042 and people kept finding me, even though I as 4 KHz above the "window
of 7028 to 7038. Anyway, about 1345 contacts started drying up - most every one
must have moved to 20 meters.  Did run across several who were looking for me
for a NPOTA contact.

"Running" at 5 watts or less to a far from optimum antenna isn't for
the heart of faint, but it's the best results I've had on any CWT in a long
time.  Those with full gallons to >> $100K antenna farm will always win,
but it's fun to sneak through the cacophony and make a contact or two.

After the event I moved to 30 meters and met a fellow who said my contact was
the first CW contact in over 50 years.  He was sending good code, though at
about 12 WPM.  A likely candidate for CW Ops in a few years!

72/73 de n8xx Hg
CW Operator since December 1951