[3830] NAQP CW VE7FO M/2 LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Aug 6 20:15:09 EDT 2017

North American QSO Party, CW - August

Call: VE7FO
Operator(s): VA7NF VE7FO
Station: VE7FO

Class: M/2 LP
QTH: Vancouver

Total:  226    83  Total Score = 18,758

Club: Orca DX and Contest Club

Team:

Comments:

Because of my wife's health problems I haven't been doing much contesting for
some time.  I'm on my own now so have a lot more time for serious contesting.

I've decided to upgrade my station to permit SO2R, M/2 and M/M operation.  The
process has started and now have QRO triplexer and BP filters to allow sharing
tribander between op positions.  Don't have room for an antenna farm on my 33 x
120 ft city lot.

Quite a lot has changed while I haven't been paying attention so I'm going to
put a bunch of time into studying N1MM+ and K3/P3 manuals for things I can do
to improve my op abilities.  For the next while I'll be practising these things
in the various contests without worrying about maximizing scores (at least, not
yet).

I have a couple of friends who op from here.  They too will be practising these
various techniques.

The current push is to gain competence with SO2V so that, when the station is
ready, it hopefully won't be too much of a jump to SO2R.  So, we turned on SO2V
for this NAQP CW and had at it.

Well, didn't take too long to figure out that if you've got any kind of a run
going at all SO2V isn't practical, at least not at our level of competence.
However, conditions on 40 were really great for trying this as responses to CQs
were far enough apart that it was easy to switch to the other Rx, work someone
you had already previously lined up, and get back to CQing without losing your
run frequency.  Of course, it wasn't all smooth and we apologize to all those
we CQ'd on top of immediately after working them.

N1MM stats show 48 2nd radio Qs.  While that sounds pretty good it doesn't
account for all the Qs we could have made running instead of fiddling with the
2nd Rx.

So, we can make SO2V work but probably will need more practice to make it
worthwhile.

We only used 20 and 40.  40 was pretty good.  I had a nice run of 71 in just
over an hour.

Thanks for your patience when QSB got us

73, Jim  VE7FO