[3830] ARRL 160 W1TJL M/S HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 3 12:53:58 EST 2017

ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: W1TJL
Operator(s): W1TJL WA1JD
Station: W1TJL

Class: M/S HP
QTH: FN32

Total:  QSOs = 640  Sections = 76  Countries = 38  Total Score = 158,730

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

After last weekend’s CQWW CW I was excited to try the new 160 Meter vertical
on the 160 meter contest this weekend.  We had better success with it last
weekend than with any previous 160 meter antenna.  So I started at 5:00 PM
Friday and had a good score, exceeding last year’s total score when I decided
to take a “nap” around 2:00 AM.  My nap exceeded the 2 hours allotted and I
woke up at 7:00!  I guess I didn’t set the alarm correctly.  Still managed to
work another 20 or so contacts before the bands finally died.

Saturday afternoon, Augie WA1JD joined me and we actively started as soon as it
got near to dusk.  Another good night.  Worked lots of Europe, some Caribbean
and South America and even a Japan.

This year we put up the 2nd beverage antenna and Rich N1IXF built the voltage
injectors so the 2 reversible DX Engineering control boxes could actually be
reversed.  Amazing!  So the final score was 158,730 with 640 QSOs and 76
sections and 38 countries.
On a personal note I have never been very good at CW (but have always wanted to
be) but this year I’ve been working CW more and more and although I’m still
in awe of other amazing CW Ops I actually was proud of myself.  No decoders,
just concentration and practice.  As soon as I retire, CW Academy is on the
“list”.

73, Tom W1TJL