[3830] NAQP CW K0RF M/2 LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 15 17:54:11 EST 2017

North American QSO Party, CW - January

Call: K0RF
Operator(s): W0UA K0RF
Station: K0RF

Class: M/2 LP
QTH: CO

   10:    1     1
-------------------
Total: 1992   274  Total Score = 545,808

Club:

Team:

Comments:

Another last-minute contest here. On Thursday morning my 3 el 40 was a pretzel,
the bottom 6 el 20 was hanging down and couldn't be turned east, the 5 el 20
was dead (infinite SWR), and there was not M2 station set up. I had written off
getting in the test because the 100 mph winds of the previous Monday and Tuesday
had broken lots of stuff but somehow the energy surfaced and I spent all dat
Thursday climbing and fixing. I called George Thursday evening and asked if he
wanted to give it a try and he said ok so we got in. It is always a special
thing when my good buddy and I can get together for big-time fun.  We managed
to have both radios going for about 11 of the 12 hours but when we hit 160, the
antenna was dead! Went out in the dark and tried to run a single vertical of the
4 sq but it was bad too. I then figured I must have chosen the bad vert so I
went out and chose a 2nd one.  It was bad too. Then I put a dummy load at the
end of the coax and it was bad.  I had to go liberate the coax from the 80
meter 4 sq which we weren't using and put it on the 160 4 square. Voila, we
were on 160.  Too bad we lost out on the second radio QSOs while I was playing
maintenance man.

As usual, George did the heavy lifting by making over 2/3 of the contacts. I
started out poorly on 15.  Couldn't get anyone to hear me. After about 1/2 hour
of tearing my few hairs, I discovered that the 85 watts I was reading on the K3
was really 8 watts. Darn that auto adjusting scale.

The good news is that both George and I felt strong and physically well during
the contest.

Thanks for all the QSOs and congrats to K5GO and W2FU for the great efforts.

73,

Chuck