[3830] ARRL Jan VHF K3TUF Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jan 23 08:52:00 EST 2017

ARRL January VHF Contest

Call: K3TUF
Operator(s): K3TUF
Station: K3TUF

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: FN10we

  903:   31     6
  1.2:   38     6
  2.3:   24     5
  3.4:   19     5
  5.7:   15     4
  10G:   11     4
  24G:    4     4
-------------------
Total:  571   109  Total Score = 157,505

Club: Mt Airy VHF Radio Club

Comments:

I really had fun in this contest; the assistance has taken the pressure off all
of the planning and worry about getting the next meaningful contact. Now you
can relax and enjoy the weak signal and VHF/UHF/Microwave essence that draws us
to this hobby and sport.
Being in FL for the first several months of the year I had to fly back north
for this event, and I wish I had planned more preparation time :-) To my
surprise I only operated 18 hours, it seemed like more; but gathering items for
my return must have occupied the remaining time. This must be the cause for my
drop in QSO's from last year.
Of course everyone will tell you about the soup that we were living in during
the contest and it's affect on the propagation, that is, no propagation. Many
fewer long microwave contacts than usual. In spite of the poor propagation, I
yeilded four grids on 24GHz, WOW.
Once again the rovers were such a treat, I am so thankful that they put in an
extensive effort. It's wonderful to get a call saying "we are on
site".
This year I received the most pleasure in seeing the spot list showing CW
activity on six meters, I would change to cw mode and go work more stations in
rapid fire. That was fun.
Had a weird failure with my 1296 sequencer which took some extra work to get
contacts on that band; first thing on the fix list when I return. Also had a
number of software issues to take care of. It's always a challenge when you are
on the bleeding edge of innovation. One day it will all settle out; I hope :-)
Great Contest, looking forward to the Sprints and ARRL June VHF.
73, Phil