[3830] RAC Day VE7FO M/S HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sat Jul 1 21:53:07 EDT 2017

RAC Canada Day Contest

Call: VE7FO
Operator(s): VE7FO
Station: VE7FO

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Vancouver
Operating Time (hrs): 12:39

  160:    5              3
   80:   50              8
   40:  131              8
   20:  211             12
   15:   18              8
   10:   18              1
Total:  433     0       40         0  Total Score = 89,680

Club: Orca DX and Contest Club

Comments:

First serious solo effort in a contest for a long time.  It wasn't supposed to
be that way (solo, that is).  I started (90 mins late) and I was expecting my
buddy to take over at 1 am.  Well, 1 am arrived and no buddy.  I hung in 'til 2
am, CQing into mostly dead bands.  Turns out that he was on an island and wasn't
scheduled to operate until IARU, a schedule that was clearly laid out in a
number of e-mails between us.  Sigh!

  During this time there was a very disturbing event.  The shack is in the
basement.  I could hear people talking in the kitchen.  This was rather
disturbing, given that I'm on my own now.  Didn't know whether I should head
out the basement door and call the cops or go upstairs.  I elected to go
upstairs.  Turns out that the 160m Inv L put so much RF into the phone system
that it dcided to play back all the messages stored in it.  Spooky.

  Anyway, got up at 9 am and back on the air at 10 am until the end.

  Conditions weren't entirely horrible.  Even 10m was open but, as usual,not
many knew.  I was getting spotted all over the continent when CQing but not
many replies.  Still, I was grateful for the Qs and mult.

  In general, signals were either very weak or quite strong, with lots of fill
generating QSB.  My apologies to those who got asked for many, many fills.  QSB
would routinely kill half a character, making it really tough.  It was possible
to run but really weird running S0 signals.

  I now have a lot more time for ham radio and am in the process (still) of
upgrading the station to a M/2.  You can expect to see VE7FO in your logs a lot
more in the future (and with a better sig than I used to have).  Hope I can
shake off some of the rust and get a little crisper.

  Next contests are IARU and NAQP RTTY.  See you then.

  73, Jim  VE7FO