[3830] IARU K0RF(W0UA) SOABCW HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jul 10 23:38:25 EDT 2017

IARU HF World Championship

Call: K0RF
Operator(s): W0UA
Station: K0RF

Class: SOABCW HP
QTH: CO

  160:    54    0       7       4
   80:   175    0      15      10
   40:   582    0      27      25
   20:   997    0      38      38
   15:   274    0      19      17
   10:    52    0       6       2
-------------------------------------
Total:  2134    0     112      96  Total Score = 1,458,936

In the early 20-Teens, I operated this contest from Chuck's for 4 consecutive
years.  Then came the fire at Chuck's, then came my CLL diagnosis and the
ensuing (and wonderfully successful) chemotherapy last year.  So, this was my
first single-op attempt at anything for exactly 2 years, i.e., IARU 2015. Since
Chuck's first priority is supporting his XYL through an illness of her own just
now (thankfully, she's on the mend), he offered me the chance to come up &
get on.  I was devoid of any recent practice as a single-op & more than a
little uncertain about my stamina.   It was my custom, in those earlier IARU
events, to play 18 holes of golf on that same Sunday, virtually without sleep,
in the mid-summer heat here.  I think it's kind-of a man-card thing?   So, when
my golf-buddy called, I accepted the 11:30 AM tee-time--with the proviso--to
which he gratefully agreed--that I'd advise him if I just plain couldn't make
it & he'd have to forgive me.

I had a couple of small glitches with the station (lost an 87A early-on &
got hooked-up to another one across the room), but nothing major.  Chuck has
his magnificent station not just rebuilt, but modernized right to the
state-of-the-art & the new setup "bugs" tirelessly worked-out to
near 100 percent reliability.  This is no small feat for a man in his mid-70s,
BTW.

Anyway, it all worked-out, I got through it just fine, felt about the same as
before all the bad stuff, surely no worse-for-wear during or after.   What a
relief!  Thank you Dr. Barnett & the outstanding Rocky Mountain Cancer
Center!   The bands?  They were up, they were down, they came back.  20 went
completely silent to the DX-corners Saturday night...then, came back strong to
Asia around 1 AM local.  Between about 3-5 AM local here, 40 went dead to JA.
Ouch!  Then, it magically came back in the last hour, stronger than ever.  We
love (and need) our JA-friends here, can't thank & credit them enough for
being there.  15 was spotty, except for the nice e-opening Saturday AM.  So, 20
took the load, as expected.  It's interesting that the summertime QRN seems to
get worse every year with my advancing age?   I even made sure to honor
tradition by working as few HQ stations as possible, just like old times!

And, yes, I dragged myself out there on Sunday & played that 18-holes in
98-degree heat.  And I was horrible!  The worst ever, truly embarrassing!  But,
all I had to do--same as for the contest--was show-up & play it through to
get my man-card renewed with the coveted Chuck Norris endorsement. Pretty
groggy after the round, I did have to use MapQuest to find my way home from the
course.  Imagine my surprise when I awoke this morning in the wrong house?  On
the wrong street?  Nice of those folks to let me crash, though...

It just feels so good to be "back" and be able to do this again &
I hope everyone had as much fun as I did--and enjoyed the same pain from it
today, LOL!

Geo  W0UA