[3830] CQWW CW ZB2TT M/S LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Nov 29 05:59:27 EST 2017

CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: ZB2TT
Operator(s): ZB2TT K1ZM
Station: ZB2TT

Class: M/S LP
QTH:

  160:    1     1        1
   80:   86     7       27
   40:  609    19       76
   20: 1623    25       83
   15:  746    18       74
   10:    9     5        6

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

This entry will go in as a M/S as K1ZM was visiting ZB and he did a bit of
operating on Saturday morning before he flew back to the US.

Operating time: 34.5 Hours, poor antenna on 40m / 80m meant I could not operate
throughout the entire night, as there was only a handful of stations that could
hear me.

Rig: IC-7300 100w
Antenna 20m-10m: Hex Beam @9m / 29ft (fixed north)
Antenna 40m-80m: Same hex beam with tuner
Software: N1MM+

Contesting from ZB brings a lot of challenges, little space and high population
density do not help for antenna space or QRM.

Restricted antennas on 80m / 40m had a major impact on the score, apologies for
the very weak signal on these bands.

10m - Awful in comparison to RTTY and SSB, only a few of the big South American
stations where workable. From the look of DXMaps there was some Es around
Northern Europe, but in Southern Europe there was none.

15m - Short lived openings to both Europe and North America, the band did not
stay open after sunset which is unusual here. Some strong strong South East
Asia during the early afternoon but no JA.

20m - Fantastic conditions throughout the contest on 20m, there was not the
usual lull during the day as the band continued to perform. I can only presume
that this is due to a lower MUF and less absorption creating optimum conditions
on 20m. Good long path into JA both mornings and the band stayed open until
around 1830z with a good opening to zone 3 both days. A very strange opening
occurred to North America on Saturday morning just after my local sunrise,
around 5-6 hours before their sunrise.

40m - Great conditions early both mornings on 40m to North America, also able
to work into ZL and JA around my sunrise. Difficult to run without a resonant
antenna on this band, for some reason it was far easier to work North America
in comparison to Europe.

80m - Best efforts here, anyone who managed to work me on this band has some
seriously good RX.

73 DE ZB2TT