[3830] FT8 RUp K6UFO SO Unlimited LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 2 19:43:03 EST 2018

                    FT8 Roundup

Call: K6UFO
Operator(s): K6UFO
Station: K6UFO

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: WA
Operating Time (hrs): 20
Remote Operation

Total:  514  State/Prov = 48  Countries = 11  Total Score = 30,840

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Overall, very enjoyable. The pace is a little relaxed, I wish I
had remote SO2R :)  Its kind of fun clicking on the colors and
buttons and trying to keep the game going...

A good start, and I could manage rates of 30/hr for the first
few hours or so. Then as 40m went "long" and was early for
80m here out west, the rate sank to 20/hr, and then 10...
Finally I decided to wait for the morning :)

I had tried the practice sessions, and kept solving problems,
so I thought I was ready :)  WSJT_X had two clear problems:

1.  It would stop adding to the Contest log!
TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE!
Clicking the OK button with the log form filled in and the
QSO would not show in the Contest Log!  Sorry for anyone
I lost when I didn't notice immediately. Since the Contest Log
doesn't scroll properly showing the bottom of the log, its hard
to keep watch for the last addition.  I had to close and restart
WSJT to get this reset and maybe working...

2. WSJT has a problem where clicking on a call on the
Band Activity list loads an incorrect call until the list is
done filling downward at the bottom. Once it shows a
call in the list you should be able to click on it AND GET
THE CALL YOUR CLICKED ON - NOT SOME OTHER
CALL!

Other problems, but not WSJT's fault:

I had problems losing my radio control about every
2nd hour, which is unusual. Usually its more solid. I'm not
sure if this is related to WSJT-X or DXLabs Commander or
something else.

Many of us people didn't Auto-seq very well, and
we would get in loops trying to exchange, R and RR73, but
eventually one of us would just move on.

People just used open frequencies rather than following the
reccommended 2kHz and 200Hz spacings. Fine with me.

CQing on ODD rather than recommended EVEN was very
productive. I think it was easier to get noticed CQing Odd
rather than the long list of mindless robot CQers on EVEN.

I'd even guess that S&P was faster than CQing at times!

Overall, not too bad a contest, and FT8 really needed a
contest tryout.

K6UFO

15m, 20m: GXP 3 element yagi at 72 feet
40m: GXP 2 element yagi at 72 feet
80m: 4 square array
160m: 4 square array
Elecraft K3 90 watts, K3/0-Mini control head
RemoteHamRadio.com