[3830] NA Sprint CW N3BB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Feb 4 09:54:13 EST 2018

                    NA Sprint CW Contest - February

Call: N3BB
Operator(s): N3BB
Station: N3BB

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: stx

---------------------

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Team:

Comments:

This was going to be a difficult night when 20 was so marginal for everyone.
Like most, I tried to stay on it as long as possible, and finally switched from
20/40 (it was 40 meters only by then) to 40/80 at 0123 as soon as the first
stations were heard on 80. I felt lucky with some mults with a weak VY1 on 20
and then catching a VT calling CQ VTQP and who very kindly gave me #3 and his
name, a rather weak W4 in AL, two (!) BC stations who took time out from their
QP, and single callers from WY, KY, and DE. Heard Bill in IA one single time on
the wrong end, but never again.I felt the 45 mult was pretty decent until
looking at the very strong numbers reported. Wow.

All in all, I did't continue SO2R on 40 as much as I should have, and probably
defaulted to SO1R on 80 too much since 40 seemed to stay in good shape and
"regular stations" kept answering second radio CQs there. That was a
mistake.

On a personal basis, for a "kvetching factor," I was dealing with two
wisdom teeth being extracted two days earlier, but doped up on Advil and felt
pretty good during the Sprint. Also, I'm halfway through a MP-to-K3 conversion
and am not secure with the K3 and the hybrid setup. I had some inter-station
interference on 20 when transmitting on 40, and need to get all this cleaned up.
Yada, yada, yada.

The ability to rack up low-mid 300's in this thing was really excellent for
those who did. It seemed that the NE and Midwest had really good condx while the
southern tier was not spotlighted, but maybe that's sour grapes. My goal always
is the Top-Ten. Doesn't look like this one made it. Still, this Sprint is the
epitome of operating skill. Congratulations for the FB results. Jim.