[3830] CQ160 SSB K3KU Multi-Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Feb 25 10:04:10 EST 2018

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, SSB

Call: K3KU
Operator(s): K3KU KC3KBE
Station: K3KU

Class: Multi-Op LP
QTH: MD

Total:  QSOs = 88  State/Prov = 21  Countries = 0  Total Score = 4,074

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Used this one to give newbie neighbor KC3KBE a taste of contesting.  He seemed
to enjoy it well enough.  He certainly got a lot of experience of "the
united, again, again!" and CQ-in-your-face.  And fruitless CQing.  I
explained how being weak on phone is a bigger disadvantage than being weak on
CW, and how in CW 160M tests I can get good rates (and distance) as fresh meat
Saturday night.

We started when he came over Saturday night about 0115Z.  He was here until 04Z,
and he did make a few QSOs, in addition to helping me copy some call signs.  It
was interesting to see the learning curve of things that experienced contesters
take for granted.  After he left I operated another 45 minutes and made about 15
more QSOs, none any easier than while he was here.

When your most exciting QSO is getting through to K3PA (loud!), you know it's
been a tough contest.