[3830] CQ160 CW VY2ZM(K1ZM) Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 28 19:48:06 EST 2018

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: VY2ZM
Operator(s): K1ZM
Station: VY2ZM

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: PEI

Total:  QSOs = 2061  State/Prov = 60  Countries = 78  Total Score = 2,152,110

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

It surely seemed as if good condx on the lowbands are back us again with the
sunspots waning more and more every day.

As others have reported, the condx to EU on FRIDAY night were superb!

What we now experience as a result are:

a) Huge EU totals for many stations

b) Quite a few UA9's, UA0's and stations like UP0L,UN9L, RY9C etc etc are again
showing up in the logs

c) Vastly improved signal levels.

On Saturday night - even here there was some really weird kind of signal suckout
taking place caused by the absorption - for example, one moment a caller was Q5
and then a few seconds later - way down in the noise - almost a doppler type
effect.

What was ***really*** strange was that most of Central Europe was Pee Weak from
0530-0630z on Saturday night - but the SM/OH/LA and UK stations were simply
BOOMING - I have never experienced that kind of anomaly before - you would think
the absorption would have crushed the Scandanavian signals - but it was totally
the opposite effect - they were rock solid and booming while the rest of EU down
South was a whisper by comparison.  Some of the DL's who called in were so weak
that I had to ask for many many repeats at the time....

Glad to work Z60A near the end - the op called me by name - not sure who it was
- but mighty glad to work them for a mult.

This score BTW nearly matches the best ever made from here as a single op - but
MLADEN YT6W had 4k points more in 2011 when he was here.

I expect condx to get even better over the next several years.

Enjoy it!

73 JEFF   VY2ZM