[3830] CQ160 CW N7IR Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 28 19:54:09 EST 2018

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: N7IR
Operator(s): N7IR
Station: N7IR

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: AZ

Total:  QSOs = 733  State/Prov = 60  Countries = 14  Total Score = 133,200

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

I ran N2IC's excellent software Waterfall Bandmap in this contest for the first
time.  To be able to see in near real time the EMI fog that's the local 160
meter environment was quite an eye-opener for me.  However, this tool is very
useful to the LP search and pounce operator.  My percentage of run QSOs was the
lowest it's been since I started doing 30 hours of BIC time in 2010.  The
following stat summary from the N1MM+ logger pretty much tells the whole story.

               Run QSO
Country      False True Tot
C6            1     1    2
CT3           1     0    1
EA8           0     1    1
F             1     0    1
JA            5     6    11
K             189   466  655
KH6           1     0    1
KP2           1     0    1
P4            1     0    1
PJ2           1     0    1
UA9           2     0    2
V3            0     1    1
VE            22    26   48
XE            2     2    4
YV            1     0    1
ZF            1     1    2
Total         229   504  733

If there was a European opening in the burbs of Phoenix I missed it.  The lone
representative of that continent was a loud Brittany station who was worked
around his sun rise on Sunday morning.  Both morning JA openings were about
average for this location.  Sunday morning a few other Asian mults were heard
but most CQed in my face.  I wasn't alone.

The big surprise was the near sweep of Canadian provinces.  Only the elusive
high latitude three NT, NU and LB were missing at the end.  Nova Scotia was the
last province worked; on Sunday morning when one called during my final long,
slow run.  Thanks to our northern top band friends for all of the 5 point QSOs.

Thanks for the contacts and your extreme patience.

73
Gary, N7IR