[3830] ARRL June VHF KF2MR/R Rover LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jun 11 20:52:56 EDT 2018

                    ARRL June VHF Contest

Call: KF2MR/R
Operator(s):
Station: KF2MR/R

Class: Rover LP
QTH: WNY

  222:   44     7
  432:   62    11
  903:   48     9
  1.2:   47     9
  2.3:   19     8
  3.4:    7     6
  5.7:    6     5
  10G:    2     2
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  429   115  Total Score = 95,105

Club: Rochester VHF Group

Comments:

I had a great time in the contest. In addition to the obvious opening on 6m
which added a couple of dozen new grids, I had good luck on the microwave bands
as well. I extended my best distance on 3.4G and 5.8G to 341km with the help of
W2SZ. I also experienced a decent distance of 142km with VA3ELE on 10GHz, which
is a band that I don't put to much use in the VHF contests.

222 underperformed for most of the contest due to a bad connector. At least I
now know what killed my amplifier in January! I lost a couple of people running
up the bands before I realized I would have to skip straight to 432.

We had a good time at lunch with several Rochester VHF Group club members
attending as well as a ham new to contesting. It is enjoyable to hear everyone's
contest stories, check out the gear, and make lots of Qs. We get quite the looks
from other restaurant patrons.

In terms of score, this was by far my best contest ever. I have been a rover in
all of the last 15 consecutive ARRL VHF contests. I have learned a lot over the
past few years and built a station I am proud of. But I took pleasure in hearing
a couple of hams new to contesting on the air who seemed to be amazed at what
they could work with an off the shelf radio and simple antennas. Hearing the
enthusiasm made me remember my first 2m DX contacts on SSB during a contest. It
was also cool to be on the other end of the contact for someone's new band they
just added.

Unfortunately I had to quit a couple of hours early so I could get the antennas
off the roof and get to work early in the morning. I still dragged all day at
work, but I have no regrets.