[3830] ARRLDX SSB OT6M M/S HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Mar 5 17:59:43 EST 2018

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: OT6M
Operator(s): ON9CC PC5A
Station: OT6M

Class: M/S HP
QTH: JO20ws
Operating Time (hrs): 33:44

Total: 1273   164  Total Score = 626,316

Club: Bavarian Contest Club

Comments:

Since about half of the regular SSB crew was absent due to sickness (flu),
Aurelio and I were the only operators this years ARRL SSB. Our short term shift
plan worked fairly good and we were able to sleep well.

The conditions ... well, 10m didn't open at all, so no 6-banders in the log. 15
was bad on saturday (about 2 handfull of QSO's in the log only) and somewhat
better on sunday to result in 17 multi's. 20m ran OK and the best rates were on
20 on Saturday afternoon (420-186-119). 40m was the second best band and we are
pleased with out 2 elements beam. We'd hoped that 80 and 160 had given more
QSO's, especially 160m was disappointing. Although we only had the dipole and
K9AY we'd expect far more than only 16 QSO's. But then again, it is what it is
:)

It was good to talk to Jerry WB9Z back home in IL after the 3Y0Z debacle.

The hardware worked OK, but just 2 software issues this weekend:

1. Although used the weekend before, suddenly the audio recording for the
voice-keyer on the OT6M-2 PC didn't work anymore. It costs us over an hour to
fix. It's that damned Windows 8 that again hustled the audio settings without
obvious reason (no connectors were pulled). Even comparison with the other PC
(OT6M-1, running Windows 7) didn't solve it. In the end we played around with
the MicroKeyerII settings in Router and we got it working again. Strange as the
settings are really different as before and different from the other PC although
the hardware is equal and connected the same way... ? ... still puzzled about
this one. Anyway: added one point to the to-do list: install Windows 7 on
OT6M-2.

2. Sunday afternoon, suddenly the audio of the Orion 2 was so much garbled, that
you even couldn't understand big signal stations anymore. After a reboot the
thing worked normally again ... have seen this on the old Orion 1 we had, but
hadn't seen this on the O2.

Oh, and the funniest thing I heard was a Ukranian station quickly busting the
biggest pile-up I heard during this contest: VY0ERC ... and giving his report
59-100 (five-nine-one-hundred) :) ... uhuh ...

Station: IC7800 and Orion (interlocked), Acom 2000 @ 1500W
Antennas:
TRX: full-size dipoles for 160m. 18m Spiderpole vertical and dipole for 80m,
OB2-40, OB11-3, 3 el.SteppIR.
RX: K9AY

Audio files for (most) QSO's are available. Drop me a note if you want me to
sent me the recording of our QSO.

Thanks for all who worked us!
C U in the Russian DX!

73