[3830] ARRLDX SSB KH7M(NA2U) SO Unlimited HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Mar 5 22:41:46 EST 2018

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: KH7M
Operator(s): NA2U
Station: KH6ZM

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: HI
Operating Time (hrs): 37:25

   40: 1001    58
   20: 1484    57
   15:  583    43
   10:   90     5
-------------------
Total: 3339   214  Total Score = 2,139,786

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

Where to start. My expectations at the start were already thinking of lesser
conditions than the CW test. It turned out pretty much that way, only worse.

This was my fifth year in a row at KH7M for this contest. I have never called CQ
this much in all the others combined with no replies. Minutes would pass with NO
calls. Sometimes tried S&P to find no stations. Not just unworkable
stations...NO stations. I wasted way too much time on 160m both nights waiting
for east coast sunrise, which has been very reliable for Qs/mults the last
couple of years. Not many on Saturday morning and Sunday morning yielded only
three CA stations. I see now in other posts that 160m just wasn’t very good
overall.

As sleep time approached Sunday morning I had my eye on making a thousand Qs on
40m. As I ended #1,000 I heard a VA2 calling. Worked him for my last mult on
40m.  Sometimes things just work out.

Sunday afternoon during a 53 minute run on 10m, the opening about which I heard
from a guy who told me on 15m, KX7C said I had the best 10m sig of the weekend.
K6AM said I was the only signal on the band (I made a couple more Qs after
that). I got about 80 Qs and 3(!) mults out of that run. A small thing but still
had me thinking, “Ain’t no meters like 10 meters.”

Minutes then after moving to 15m KL7RA spotted me saying I was the only sig on
the band. Really strange. Not long after that, during a long, fruitless CQ call,
a 9Y4 station called and said, “Not hearing anyone either?” We both had a
good laugh.

The decision to go assisted this year did not result in as many additional
Qs/mults as I thought it might. I wouldn’t rule out doing it again but, if so,
I will have to rethink my Telnet filter(s).

I worked the following stations on all six bands, rare in this year’s test:
W6YI K3EST N6WS K6XX N7IR K7XC W7YAQ K7RL  That was fun.

Thanks to all for the Qs. And thanks again to Max, KH6ZM, and his lovely XYL,
K-A-T-H-Y, for being gracious hosts and for serving up lots of great food and
conversation during my stay!

73 and aloha from the Big Island,

Fred/KH6/NA2U at KH7M