[3830] WPX CW K5WA SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed May 30 23:23:21 EDT 2018

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: K5WA
Operator(s): K5WA
Station: K5WA

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Texas

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

I usually don't get visited by Mr. Murphy much at all but this WPX was full of
Murphy.  I started out the weekend thinking I was going M/S with K5TU to give
his new lasers in the sky a run for their money.  I had not gotten my sleep
schedule maximized because we were going to go in 4 hours shift to have a nice
casual weekend.  Well, 2 hours before the contest, we tried turning the 120'
rotating tower and, FFFFSSSTTT!, there goes the fuses and the tower was dead at
20 degrees.  After a little reality check, it was determined the tower wasn't
going to rotate in the near future so I called W5SJS (the station owner of our
shared station) to see if the operator who had booked the weekend was actually
going to show.  Sure enough, he had not confirmed and I was given the green
light to head to the station for a SOAB run.  I needed the rate practice for
WRTC coming up in July and left K5TU's place a little too abruptly (Sorry Kim!)
to get to the W5SJS station.  It takes about 1 1/2 hours to get to the station
from K5TU so I had 30 minutes to get ready.  I managed to get started on time
and was having some good rate and lots of fun with great, but noisy, conditions
on 40 and pretty good on 20.  I had to sleep for a couple of hours after EU
sunrise but got up in time to have a good 40M JA run which included a
"P9OE" thrown in.  I asked for a repeat and got "P9OE" both
times but I'll bet that one won't be in LOTW anytime soon.  ;-)
Anyway, about mid-morning, I hear a car drive up to the station and lo and
behold, it was the operator who hadn't confirmed with W5SJS.  His name might as
well have been Mr. Murphy.  This was a scheduling mix-up and I had to shut down
operations with only 11 hours in the log.  Oh well, my wife was thrilled I got
home in time to have a good Memorial Day weekend with her and I got a tiny bit
of practice under my belt but it sure looked like this was going to be a good
contest if I had been able to stay in the chair.  Hopefully, I've gotten Murphy
out of my system for 2018.  See you all in WRTC banging it out as fast as I
can.
73,
Bob K5WA