[3830] CQWW CW HQ9X M/2 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Nov 27 11:58:25 EST 2018

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: HQ9X
Operator(s): LZ5VV N2WQ SP4Z
Station: HQ9X

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: EK66RH
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:  493    11       63
   80: 1350    26       89
   40: 1878    33      118
   20: 2316    34      124
   15: 1353    31       97
   10:   18     7       12

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

This was an incredible experience for many reasons.

First, the friendship. It was so good to finally catch up with Ivo LZ5VV after
not having seen each other for ~10 years. Even though Wes SP4Z comes to the US
ever year, hanging out and operating with him has always been a special
experience.

Second, running a JA pileup on 80 and 160 and getting called by VK6 was
something I had never dreamed of. For all the talk about declining JA ham
population we did not see any evidence of it. 160 and 80 were so quiet that we
completely forgot to use the Beverage-on-ground RX antenna!

Third, the station worked flawlessly. Being on a hill so close to the water
truly is a game changer. The Skyhawk tribander @ 50', full size 40 and 80
verticals with 64 radials each, and the 160 inv V at 50' were amazingly good.
The Icom 7610/7300 pair worked beautifully, including the single USB interface
cable that didn't skip a single dit. We, the humans, turned out to be the
weakest link as we honestly were unprepared to handle the volume of stations
that were calling.

We had a minor interference between the two radios, but with a careful choice of
run frequencies this was more of a nuisance than an impediment. Along the same
line of nuisance, one of the large LCD monitors and the second laptop I brought
were DOA for no obvious reasons so we ended up using my work laptop instead.

Even though there were only 3 of us, this score became a reality thanks to few
others. We are very thankful for all the tower, antenna, and shack work Dennis
W1UE, Paul K1XM, and Charlotte KQ1F did earlier this year.

Big Thank You! to the N1MM team who not only provides the best contesting logger
there is, but also provided a full current version installer that would run on
my high security work laptop.

We found CQCONTEST.net to be a major motivating tool. First we aimed to outdo
K9CT, then SK3W and KH6J, and at the end of the contest HG7T. EF8R, P33W, KC1XX,
and the other big guns- please consider posting realtime updates to make
contesting even more exciting and videogame-like.

Last, but not least, many thanks to all who called; your points and mults were
sincerely appreciated.

Rudy N2WQ, Wes SP4Z, and Ivo LZ5VV