[3830] FT RUp NN7SS(K6UFO) SO Unlimited QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 8 16:26:36 EST 2019

                    FT Roundup - 2019

Call: NN7SS
Operator(s): K6UFO
Station: NN7SS

Class: SO Unlimited QRP
QTH: WA
Operating Time (hrs): 4
Remote Operation

Total:  100  State/Prov = 30  Countries = 7  Total Score = 3,700

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

I started at 1800 to get setup. I had forgotten a lot since WW DIGI contest.
I had it setup in 30 minutes, but had a hard time getting QSOs started. RBN
heard me on 10m, and there were stations like North Dakota, but no answers.
So, try 15m. A couple stations in the recommended contest sub-band, but
WAY more people on the usual FT8 frequency.  A move to 20m brought
even more action. About half were "late callers", i.e., no answer,
then
a minute or two later completing the QSO. Seems a little crazy but if I got
exchange info, they're in the log. It seemed I had to intervene a lot to get a
QSO in log.

After an hour, I noticed Mults weren't being identified correctly, and I was
calling Dupes! I paused to ponder what was mis-configured... and tried fixing
all the usual suspects. Eventually I exported a ADIF and saw the mode on
some QSOs was "SSB" (which was the rig setting) and others were
"FT8."
Changing them all to "FT8" and importing to a new log fixed the dupe
marking,
but it would still enter some new QSOs as SSB.  I never found a simple solution

for this in the software, sorry if I duped you.

Then I got distracted by lunch, a walk, some cat videos on the internet, ... and

didn't get back on for a couple hours. The new config settings seemed to work,
but my favorite click became "Log QSO As-Is" to get finished and move
on.
Lots of JA activity in my late afternoon (23z), good ears and great operators!
20m faded away west about 0130z, so I went to 40m to get me to 100 Qs.

Yes, I know there's no QRP category. I just have more satisfaction making
QSOS that way.

Thanks for the fun.

NN7SS (K6UFO)

Remote to Elecraft K3 at 5 watts
10m, 15m, 20m: GXP 3 element yagi at 72 feet
40m: GXP 2 element yagi at 72 feet
Writelog and DigiRite software