[3830] ARRL 160 W3HKK SO Unlimited HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 8 16:24:35 EST 2019

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest - 2019

Call: W3HKK
Operator(s): W3HKK
Station: W3HKK

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: OH

Total:  QSOs = 826  Sections = 84  Countries = 36  Total Score = 192,610

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Station:  IC7610 - ACOM 1000 amp - N1MM+ software

          Antennas:
          Transmit Antenna is a 130 ft Inverted L with 52 ft vertical
          leg sloping down to  15 ft above ground, with 26  radials  of 30-130
          ft long.

          Receive Ant:  SAL-30

Propagation:  K=1 with  noise levels around S 1-3  to start with but quieted
down  as the contest went on.   Cndx were average at best for DX sigs but many
NVIS sigs were loud and clear, plus good coverage of most of the US.  The West
Coast  wasnt as   well represented here in central OH  Fri night but that
improved  on Sat night/Sun morning. EU had fair to good  signals from the  usual
suspects but the sheer number of countries seemed to be "down".
Africa was almost non-existant, the Carib was below average, and a few S.A
stations  made the log ( YV-LU8) but not much else was heard.  Sunday morning at
sunrise  showed  a handful of JA's  at the noise, one of whom made it into the
log, along with  Asiatic Russia( a new one on Top Band, #167.)

Spent about 75% of my time Running due to the  nice steady stream of replies. In
fact on Fri night spent the first two hours   near the low end and averaged 103
Q's/hr.  Took a 90 minute break and then resumed by S&P'ing for DX for  30
minutes before Running for an hour.  That was  the "plan" for much of
the contest.

By  2 am Sat morning I had run out of gas and hit the sack with 503 Q's in the
log, a  very nice start for me.  The last 30 minutes or so of Running produced
DUPES at a 65% rate which was mind-blowing.

Family obligations kept me busy Sat afternoon, but I returned to the house
looking to get a fast start at around 5pm, but didnt have the gas so took a 30
minute nap that turned into 4 hours.  Sat night at  9pm I  was still dragging
but got back in the groove until 1am.  Slept til 5 then finished up Sun at 8am.
with one of my better efforts and certainly one of my best rates:  52/hr for the
entire contest.

After 503  the first night, things dropped off to 323 the second night or  about
a 34% reduction in Q's.  Still, I was happy with 66% of a very good Night 1 and
give credit to an unusually high amount of NVIS-type sigs that came in regular
bursts to spice up the rate.   Worked two Alaskans, NO Hawaiians, two Asians,
decent Caribbean/C.A. numbers, no VK/ZLs, and a decent mix of Euros.

All in all it was  one of the most enjoyable ARRL 160 contests despite  what i
saw as a lack of DX.