[3830] CQ160 SSB HQ9X(W1UE) Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Feb 24 12:02:56 EST 2019

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, SSB - 2019

Call: HQ9X
Operator(s): W1UE
Station: HQ9X

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: HR
Operating Time (hrs): 12:34

Total:  QSOs = 322  State/Prov = 47  Countries = 26  Total Score = 126,655

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

This one is tough from here.  We're 1000 miles from the nearest part of the USA-
that's equal to the distance from Chicago to Boston.  That gives you an idea of
the signal strength of the signals I hear here.  I was much more successful on
Saturday night in digging out the weak stations; I played with the 7610
settings, found a couple of noise sources that I was able to eliminate, and
spent more time keeping my frequency clear of interlopers.  One of the things
that did dog me all weekend was calling CQ on a clear frequency, then suddenly
get out-of-sync callers calling someone else in the USA that started firing up
on my frequency.  I couldn't hear him, he couldn't hear me, but he was louder in
the states than I was so I had to QSY to another frequency where I couldn't hear
another station that was already CQing there.

Countries worked: No Amer: V3, ZF, TG, TI, VP2M, XE, C6, KP2, HP, CM, FG
So Amer: YV, PJ4, HC           Oceania: KH6
Europe: UA, S5, UR, SP, DL, OK, HB, LA, GI, G, EA

That was an awful lot of work for 322 Qs!  I went to sleep at 0550Z Saturday,
throughly disappointed with conditions.  At that point, I had 133 Qs, 1
European, in the log.  I did get up a few hours later and had some success,
finishing the first day at 193 Qs.  While the second day only netted another 129
Qs, there were a lot more 10 pointers (a total of 25 for the contest).

Thanks for those that had the patience to dig me out, or to repeat their calls
so that I could dig them out!

Dennis HQ9X
W1UE