[3830] CQ160 SSB PJ4DX Multi-Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Feb 24 17:34:48 EST 2019

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, SSB - 2019

Call: PJ4DX
Operator(s): PJ4DX PJ4KY PJ4NX PJ4RF
Station: PJ4DX

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: Bonaire

Total:  QSOs = 339  State/Prov = 49  Countries = 52  Total Score = 338,047

Having done this contest single op from the home QTH on an inland fairly small
lot for the last three years, this was the first multi-op entry from a portable
location - a beach hut (literally a "shack") right on the Caribbean
Sea. The antenna was a 77ft (23.5m) high inverted-L, with the feedpoint inches
above the salt water lagoon and the horizontal part of the 'L' tied off to a
distant fibreglass pole erected in the lagoon - amazingly both poles stayed up
the whole weekend despite fierce winds. We used two in-line quarter-wave radials
a foot or two above the sea.

This was very much a joint effort, with Peter PJ4NX providing the transceiver,
Bert PJ4KY a petrol (gas) generator and me providing the amplifier. We also
hired a 6kVA diesel generator for the grand sum of $9 per day and used that on
the second night because the voltage drop on the smaller petrol generator
reduced our power output on the first night.

As this was a new QTH for me, it is difficult to compare results with previous
years, though I felt conditions were generally quite poor. Given the spectacular
location I was expecting to feel "loud", but I found it was just as
difficult to maintain a run frequency as at the inland home QTH.

The thunderstorm static QRN level was much higher than the previous three years,
particularly on the first night of the contest. A home-brew K9AY loop receive
antenna helped a little but it was still difficult to copy many stations who
were calling. With a claimed 49 States/Provinces and 52 DXCC, we were getting
out quite well but a Cluster spot from GW3YDX said that there were many
Europeans calling who we simply could not hear.

Congratulations to our neighbours at PJ4G whose superior receive antennas
allowed them to hear better than us and I am sure they will be posting a much
higher score.

The highlight for me was being called by ZL2OK who I could hardly hear at first
on the north-facing K9AY but who was good copy on the TX antenna. I did not hear
a single VK, though, nor see any spotted.

Rinse PJ4RF was taking part in only in his second-ever contest and made quite a
few QSOs for the team. We were also joined by Gerard PJ4GR who received his
licence just a few days ago, as well as Paul PA0SON and Jan PD0HOT who were
visiting Bonaire from the European Netherlands. Thanks to Mario for making the
location available and for keeping us well fed and watered. Great camaraderie
from all concerned.

Rig: FTdx5000, Acom 1500 amp at 1kW out (less the first night), 77ft inverted-L
with elevated radials, K9AY RX antenna.

73, Steve, PJ4DX