[3830] IARU K9ZO(WT2P) SOABMixed HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jul 14 15:03:17 EDT 2019

                    IARU HF World Championship - 2019

Call: K9ZO
Operator(s): WT2P
Station: K9ZO

Class: SOABMixed HP
QTH: IL

  160:    74            8       5
   80:   214     1     14      10
   40:   455    67     25      25
   20:   457   121     24      31
   15:   150    28     16      18
   10:   105     5      8       5
-------------------------------------
Total:  1455   222     95      94  Total Score = 1,019,277

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Now that the fog has lifted from being awake for 24+ hours and I had a bit of
rest before the drive home, I'd first like to thank Ralph and Connie for their
hospitality this weekend. Summer is a busy time for them with grandkid duties,
etc. but they were gracious enough to host me at the station for IARU.

I'm pretty impressed with this result. In terms of raw QSO's this beats my
previous personal best set in Aruba a few years ago (P40XA). The mults were a
bit on the light side and as I neared the end of the contest I was fearful that
I wouldn't cross the 1M mark. 20 meters S&P the last 45 minutes working
anyone helped, as I uncovered a few new mults out of Europe in the last hour.
>From my recollection, I'd say I was mostly 70% CQ, the rest S&P. It was cool
to have some of the more obscure mults actually call me. I had 3 HQ stations
call in a row that were all new for me which was shocking.

I decided to start out on 40 with the SteppIR pointed west since there were
strong VK/ZL signals on the band right before the contest. As I settled in and
found a freq, a VK called me 10 seconds before the contest started. I stalled a
little bit and then once the contest started we had our exchange and he was in
the log.

As the first hour on 40 seemed to dry up (it was a nearly 100+ hour), I jumped
to 20 and had a couple good runs (I think near 100/hr). Something weird happened
on the band scope, I saw signals beginning to disappear, like someone had
unplugged the drain in the bathroom. I decided to jump down to 15 and there was
a TON of activity... I dabbled a bit running and when that slowed down a bit,
decided to check out 10... Bingo.

When running, I mentally set a number that it was time to spin the dial. Many
times, i hit that number and began s&P'ng to find mults, of which there were
plenty. Running unassisted I think made me stay in the chair and be more focused
and make smarter decisions about when to abandon sitting there calling F1 and
spinning the knob (or scrolling the Maestro) to find things to work and uncover
mults.

I wanted to do more running on SSB, but ironically, after i'd sweep CW, I'd
sweep SSB and find it either too crowded or immensely boring. I did net a lot of
new mults this way on SSB.

Me and VE7UF traded places multiple times on the online scoreboard and that was
another motivating factor. When I would go outside for a smoke break, i'd come
back and see that he'd caught up to me and passed me. I could also tell when he
was taking a break too because i'd pass him by just a little. That limited my
smoke breaks and led to me being in the chair for roughly 24.5 hours of the
contest, which is yet another personal best for my antsy self.

Quite a few in the log from 160-10, it was nice to have multiple bands open,
some at the same time.

Lots of SMC members worked and I personally had a blast.

73,
WT2P