[3830] ARRL Sep VHF N6NB/R Rover LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Sep 16 20:04:39 EDT 2019

                    ARRL September VHF Contest - 2019

Call: N6NB/R
Operator(s): N6NB
Station: N6NB

Class: Rover LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  449   120  Total Score = 162,000

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

It was a fun contest.  Actually, it was more like two different contests.

I drove to Kettleman City (Calif.) Friday, carrying three extra 11-band rover
stations (the senior-friendly kind that ride on a car's passenger seat--not the
"toolbox" stations that mount on a roof rack) and met up with K6MI,
NI6G and WB6HYD Saturday morning.  We roved through six grid squares in one long
day, working each other and W6TV on Bear Mountain near Fresno on 11 bands (10 in
the case of W6TV because the excellent 24 GHz station at W6TV was locked up in a
cabinet and W6YEP, the W6TV operator, didn't have the right key.  We've worked
W6TV on 24 GHz from the same six grid squares several times before, but a snafu
made it impossible to do that this time.

That was Saturday.  We finally finished our last grid, DM07, after midnight,
then dismantled the three compact stations and loaded all the gear back into my
truck beside a country road in the darkness.  We had to do it that way because
Erik, NI6G, was leaving Monday for a DXpedition to the Seychelles Islands and
needed Sunday to pack.

I pulled away at 12:30 a.m. and then drove the 275 miles back home to Orange
County, arriving just before 6 a.m.  It occurred to me more than once that at
age 76 I'm getting too old for these all-night drives on California freeways.

After a few hours of sleep, I met N6TEB and W6IT for a Sunday rove through the
four L.A. grid squares.  N6TEB took my van, which has a separate 11-band station
ready to go.  W6IT took my fourth senior-friendly car-seat station (the one that
wasn't used the day before) and signed W6AMT, a club call.  Our rove proceeded
quickly and smoothly.  We were finished barely three hours after we started,
including driving time.

It was a really good contest.  The saddest part for me was remembering all of
the good people who have roved with us before but are now gone, most recently
Ron Hunt, N6MTS.  Seven of our best rovers have passed and several others have
"retired," something I will have to consider sooner than I'd like.
Everyone seems to think these all-night drives are tempting fate.

73, Wayne, N6NB