[3830] ARRL Sep VHF W1DYJ Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Sep 16 20:20:01 EDT 2019

                    ARRL September VHF Contest - 2019

Call: W1DYJ
Operator(s): W1DYJ
Station: W1DYJ

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: ME

    6:  21     10
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  21     10  Total Score = 210

Club: North East Weak Signal Group

Comments:

The last time I operated this contest from my Maine QTH was in
2013, when I had 5 Qs in 4 grids, all SSB. With only a 3-el 6M yagi
at 26' and nothing on any other band, it was lonely.  It seems that
most hams don't point up this way.

This time wasn't much different: 21 Qs in 10 grids.  Although the
actual time I was on the air was only about two hours, I was checking
the band about every hour for a few minutes each time.  First I
checked CW and SSB and usually heard nothing, the moved to FT8.
(YES --FT8 is controversial, and I don't enjoy it as much as
RTTY/CW/SSB.) ALL Qs were on FT8!  I heard 1 CW and 2 SSB stations
the whole time I was listening.  I "duped" with one of the SSB
stations just to be sure my rig was working!  (The CW and the other
SSB station were also dupes.)

It was interesting how I would hear (see?) stations from 9-land
and 4-land come up out of the noise for two or three FT8 transmissions,
and then disappear and not hear me call.  More interesting, there were
many stations I heard in FN31 and 21 who I heard at reasonable SNRs,
but did not hear me.  All you down there >> point up to Maine now and
then!

Rig: TS590, run at 80w.
Antenna: InnovAntenna 3-el 6M LFA @ ~26'

73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ