[3830] ARRL 160 W1WBB Single Op QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Dec 7 00:14:10 EST 2020

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest - 2020

Call: W1WBB
Operator(s): W1WBB
Station: W1WBB

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: W1

Total:  QSOs = 297  Sections = 44  Countries = 2  Total Score = 27,600

Club: CT RI Contest Group

Comments:

*UNassisted QRP operation*  Many many thanks to all who pulled me out, stuck
with me for the Q!  An adventure on Topband once again...

Third time I've gone QRP in ARRL 160m Contest, but first time since extending
the Inv L radiator wire height in late 2019 to ~75'.   Increased by about 3500
pts (15%) on my 2014 Non-assisted effort of 248 Q's/49 Sec/0 DXCC.

As before, I just run into a wall at the Mississippi River with QRP - just 7 Q's
made west of that line: AZ, VE6 (2), STX, AR, IA (2).  East of there I *missed*
only AL, PR, SFL, WCF AND VO1 (never heard VO1HP ;^().  My compromise radial
system and absorption from the large tree the antenna runs thru the likely
culprits??  Resulted in totals of 44 Sec + 2 DXCC (C6A, ZF) = 46 Mults.  But
hard to compete from here vs QRP folks to the west of me gathering additional
close-in domestic mults...Hmmmmm, them's the breaks!  [Perhaps if I had a
4-Square array!]

A blast to have a 44 QSO 1st hour, almost all S and P.  I did not chase any DX
across the big pond (very little EU even heard on Night 1).  Conditions were
improved on Saturday night, with better sigs, though surprisingly rapid deep QSB
remained throughout the weekend even on stronger signals.  From EU the GW3 was
strongest heard here.  The 'Bomb Cyclone' Nor'Easter that hit nearby Sat day and
evening provided torrential rain and very strong winds here but very little
radio impact for me fortunately.

I just concentrated on spinning the dial and making domestic contacts while
avoiding pile-ups.  Day 1 (thru S/R): 168 QSOs/44 Mults, Day 2: 129
Q's/2 Mults (MAR and NNY).  Quit at 0400Z Sat night after running out of
stations to work who could hear me...but caught 75 mins before/during Sun S/R.
My hat's off to the very top QRP scorers - impressive numbers  ... and EFFECTIVE
antennas!!

Icom IC-7300 at 5 watts; 5/16 wave Inv L (vertical portion approx 75' tall) for
primary TX/RX with compromise radial system of about 18 short radials;
occasional secondary RX ant (manually activated):  88' doublet up at 40';  N1MM+
Logger and WinKeyer USB CW interface + Vibroplex Deluxe paddle.  Small suburban
lot, 100'x200' at 115' A.S.L.
QSL via LoTW, Club Log and QRZ.com.  TNX es 73!  Bill W1WBB