[3830] NAQP CW KG4IGC Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 12 16:50:44 EST 2020

                    North American QSO Party, CW - January

Call: KG4IGC
Operator(s): KG4IGC
Station: KG4IGC

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: South Carolina
Operating Time (hrs):

   15:   27     8
   10:    1     1
-------------------
Total:  245    99  Total Score = 24,255

Club: Swamp Fox Contest Group

Team: Swamp Fox Delta Force

Comments:

All contact S&P in this contest. Decent band conditions on 15-160 meters
pretty much all day. Only worked 2 "DX" stations, VP5/KM3T and one
from PR. Ran into some issues with QSB throughout the contest and also quite a
bit of QRN from a line of storms that came through but went to the upstate. Took
my two breaks at one time around suppertime to get them out of the way.

I was hoping to work a bunch of stations on 160 in the evening, which by the way
was really surprisingly quiet compared to 40 & 80 meters with the constant
static crashes from the approaching storms.Note to self, check ALL antennas
before the start of the contest. I found out the hard way last night that my
inverted L was broken, SWR is off the charts.

Took about 45 minutes trying to trace the problem in the dark with a flashlight
to no avail. Most likely the squirrels or dogs have chewed through something. I
wound up throwing together an 80 meter hustler antenna with a 160 meter coil on
a tripod in order to get on 160. The antenna was literally 8 feet tall with the
tripod. I hammered a short piece of copper tube in the ground to connect to the
antenna, and used short elevated radials for the ground plane. Surprisingly, it
tuned right up and I made 26 Q's, some as far away as Ontario.

I was very pleased with the results, since I was using such a compromised
antenna of which I honestly did not think that I could make work. Did not work
any Swamp Foxes, but did see NI7R Phil in passing.

Rig: Yaesu FT-DX3000
PWR: 100
ANTS: 272\\\' Horizontal Loop, 20/40 Super Loops x2, NA4RR Hex Beam

Are you an active contester living in SC? Join SC\'s contest club!!
http://swampfoxcontestgroup.com/