[3830] IARU N4XD SOABCW LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Thu Jul 16 16:23:42 EDT 2020

                    IARU HF World Championship - 2020

Call: N4XD
Operator(s): N4XD
Station: N4XD

Class: SOABCW LP
QTH: UTAH
Operating Time (hrs):

-------------------------------------

Club: Smithchart Amateur Radio Society429

Comments:

Many who copied me obviously expected Zone 8. Indeed I was in zone 6 operating
from a summit off route 20 close to where it meets route  89 in S Utah. Summit,
which was over 7400 ft, offered an excellent view east looking down on Bryce
City near Bryce National Park.

I was operating from my RV in which I'd been crossing the country from NC to NW
Washington (Everson, WA to visit friends) and was headed back to NC when I
stopped for the contest.

The antenna I used was a wire strung from the top of a 38' Spider Pole held in
place to the ladder on the back of the RV. Only a handful (5 or 6) radials were
stretched out from the base of the pole which rested on the read bumper of the
RV. Used a tuner to tune the vertical for 10 through 40. The majority of my
contacts were on 40, then 20 and a handful on 15.

This was the first real test of the set up on the road (except for a SSB Q with
my friend Art, K6XT) and I was, and am, pleasantly surprised with how well it
worked. Of course, being 7400 ft up didn't hurt!

Worked many more EUs than I expected along with lots of zone 8 stations. JAs on
40 were plentiful too.

Overall the contest was fun with just one interruption. Saturday late morning I
noticed a SUV had pulled off the road (I could see sections of the road from
where I was parked). I could see steam coming from under the hood. I walked
down, explained where I was and offer water, and any help, should they need it.

Turns out they did. The hose from the engine to the heater core failed. We used
a hose clamp to pinch off the doubled over hose, along with some tightly wound
bailing wire as a back up, filled it back with water (fortunately I had just
topped up) and sent them on their way. Turns out the father was a fairly new ham
as was one of his sons! What are the odds?? Glad I was there to help.

One more thought. The weather was perfect with clear skis and cool evenings.
Milky Way painted the sky from horizon to horizon. Don't see that so much back
home in NC.

Thanks to all that dug deep to get my call and get the zone correct. I had so
much fun I expect to do it again.

K3
40' wire vertical
N1MM+ for logging