[3830] SS SSB K6LA SO Unlimited HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 23 15:11:39 EST 2020

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB - 2020

Call: K6LA
Operator(s): K6LA
Station: K6LA

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: LAX

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

Damn Murphy. While warming up a frequency a few minutes before the contest, the
Elecraft USB serial port to one radio died. No mic in, no reading radio out. I
figured it was no big deal as the first few hours leave little opportunity for
2nd radio QSOs. Then the other serial port died in the 2nd half of the 3rd hour
while having a great run on a great frequency on 20m. I rebooted Writelog to no
avail. Then I rebooted the computer. I wound up taking 30 minutes off trying to
figure out what was going on. It is said that the definition of insanity is
doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. After 4
times of the above rebooting over the course of the first day of SS, I found I
was not insane. The last reboot did the trick and I had SO2R for Sunday, except
for one additionally required reboot.

This was my highest QSO total in Phone SS from K6LA. It would have been 50 - 75
QSOs higher if I hadn't had to take 2 prime time 30 minute breaks. I heard VO1
in a massive pileup, called a few times, didn't get through, and then he
disappeared. No sweeps this year. Both missed VO1 after hearing them in massive
pileups.

73, Ken, K6LA