[3830] SS SSB AK4I Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 23 15:13:03 EST 2020

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB - 2020

Call: AK4I
Operator(s): AK4I
Station: AK4I

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: TN
Operating Time (hrs): 17:23

I worked this contest with WB4RRD and it was a lot of fun. Unfortunately, at the
end of the contest when we tried to generate the Cabrillo file for submittal and
it wouldn't work we dug in further and determined that we'd made some basic
errors in setting up the contest.  First, we assumed that since only one
operator was working at a time we were a single operator so we listed both our
call signs in the N1MM operator field which caused a problem for the
"B" Precedence when I tried to generate. Second, because we'd only
looked at the ARRL web page we didn't understand that a single operator using a
"B" Precedence couldn't use assistance, which we did. When we dug into
why N1MM wouldn't generate the file we found the 2020 November Sweepstakes
Information Package, which has a way more detailed discussion of the rule. We
determined we should have been operating under a "M" Precedence.  As a
result, this weekend was just an exercise in fun operating. I can't change the
"B" at this time without causing all of the Q's we made from being
wrong in everyone else's logs so that won't happen. I submitted the log as a
check log but am not requesting to enter the contest.  Oh well. Live and learn!

I'll be so glad to be living in Tennessee and not commuting from here to there
to operate my station.  The FCC and therefore QRZ still lists my mailing address
as living in Georgia.  My guess is a lot of the contest software pulls this info
because I can't tell you how many times I had people to confirm Tennessee as the
QTH or have them ask me if I'd moved.I'd change my address with the FCC but I
don't have a mailbox up there yet.

Footnote: The score reported above is bogus.  I didn't make a screen shot of
N1MM before I left the property in Tennessee.  However, I emailed an ADIF file
home from Tennessee and imported it into a local copy of N1MM and for some
reason it got the number of contacts correct but the sections and score are
wrong so the sections is correct based on my memory and the score is just to
total QSO's time the sections.  Not correct I know.